fan belt

Dont know if anybody knows the reply to this .but i will never know.. Fitted a new fanbelt and how do i ajust it, i have done it once with the engine running and the noise went away, if i fit a new tensioner dos anybody think the noise will go. if i spray oil over it it gos very quite down there.so i am thinking it the tensioner.also i think if i do the ajuster up any more i think the belt will snap.(it only makes a noise first thing and when the car has cooled down)

Reply to
Chrs

Is this the spring loaded tensioner on the 405? They all seem to make a noise just off tickover. Mine was changed under warranty a long time ago now, but the replacement new one wasn't much quieter. If it's any consolation, mine went on for at least70k miles without getting worse.

Reply to
Brian

Which car?

Reply to
malc

Marc its a 405. they call them a lolly-pop tensioner.

Reply to
Chrs

Had a price from french spares for the part and it is =A330.00 inc del. which i think is good. any feed back about this i will read.

Reply to
Chrs

Sorry Brian it is the one with two holes in it,and the bolt at the bottom to ajust it.you have to undo the middle bolt and the one half way down the shaft,and turn the bottom bolt to ajust it, and what a pain,as you have to remove the wheel. inner wing, you have to be a small person to do the job ,in my case not very easy,lol lol

Reply to
Chrs

I know it well. Is it the bearing making a noise? If it is just dry, it's possible to get some oil into it to quieten it. I normally do this if I ever have the belt off. If the bearing is knackered on the other hand, replacement is the only option.

Reply to
Brian

Thats what iam hopeing to do as soon as poss.i have sprayed so much oil into it,it dont last long ,thats why i am going to fit new one.thanks for the reply Brian,

Reply to
Chrs