fan belt

Well some one out there on this group might know the reply to this? on a ribbed drive belt why does the ribbs wear off or break off?after one year on being on the car,i said it could be too tight.well i leave upto the group for the replys, Thanks everybody.

Reply to
Chrs

Most likely that the pulley sheaves are not in line. Poly vee belt drives are much more fussy about alignment than std v belt drives.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Also, probably because they are quite thin, (the Vs that is) and with flexing, get slightly brittle and break off. I have certainly seen it on older belts.

Reply to
Brian

Having said that, I have the same type of belt on the washing machine, and a tumble dryer. Both are now very old, and there is no evidence of the Vs breaking up. However, these only flex one way, whereas those on cars will flex both ways as they go round the various idler pulleys.

Reply to
Brian

Also having a crackshaft pulley ratting around dont help.spray it with wd40 so i dont wake anybody up when i start it up in the mornings,i have also tryed brake fluid, going to try and get one from a main dealer as my mates one did not fit as it was a 5 rib pulley and mine is a 6 rib one,

Reply to
Chrs