Fuel Filter Water Draining

Morning,

There is a supposedly simple procedure in my Haynes manual for my 306 '99 HDi headed "Fuel Filter Water Draining". I've never done this, and the garage I deal with doesn't seem to be familiar with it either, but the manual makes special mention of how important it is to observe the intervals for this for the sake of injectors and to avoid some other seizure causing, as my usual concern, timing belt failure.

Its hard for me to tell whether the "drain plug" referred to is actually something i'd remove completely or whether its more a tap which would start draining from the length of hose fitted to the underside, which the book says is fitted in production on some models.

It also seems to insist that the drain plug and its O ring are replaced each time you do this, every 6000 miles.

This is a little concerning as i've had the car for 20,000 miles already and know that this hasn't been done.

Could someone let me know how much concern this should be causing me, is replacing the plug and ring really that vital. Is the plug actually a tap, does the tube play a part, and how?

I need to get the filter replaced soon anyway but again i'm stumped by the books insistence on cleanliness and the mechanics attitude of "its diesel, it doesn't have to be that clean". No doubt I should try elsewhere.

Help as usual, much appreciated. Cheers, Tom.

Reply to
Tom Hawley

Cant say I admire the mechanics attitude, but cleanliness is important, regardless of it being diesel or petrol, Depending on what filter is fitted,,, The fuel filter should have a screw-on type cap situated at the base of the canister, also there should be a wiring connector coming from the same cap, this wiring connector is the water detector sensor, and should bring a light on the dash if there is water contamination in the filter, to drain the filter just un-screw the cap until fluid starts coming out, water is heavier than diesel so it drops to the bottom and should come out first, when you see diesel coming out, tighten the cap, that's it, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Makes sense. Now I see in the manual there is a dashboard light as you said, so I should get some warning.

Thanks. Tom.

Reply to
Tom Hawley

I think i would not use that Mechanics to do any work on my car, after saying that its only a Diesel.if he was to work in the garage where i work and the boss heard him he would be out of ajob.

Reply to
Chris