Hdi fuel

Without debating the legality of it, is it possible to run an HDI on red diesel? I've heard conflicting views on this, and would like the opinions of some in here if possible. I've heard, 'Yes, it's fine,' and 'No, don't do it;' the reason given being that it doesn't have the same lubricating properties as standard diesel and isn't as clean and HDI's don't like that - apparently it's fine with the older non-hdi engines though?

Ta

Reply to
Brainfire

Yes you can, red diesel is the same as garage forecourt diesel apart from the colour of the dye added to it.

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Having just re-read your mail , it sounds to me as if you are getting a little mixed up with running your diesel on the home made chip fat conversion stuff, this I know is not a good idea for the more modern hdi engines. ggj

Reply to
Gary G Jones

No, I wasn't even thinking of the chip fat mixture at all - not being mechanically minded, I just didn't know who to believe, that's all - I did think it a bit strange that it wouldn't have the same lubricating properties as standard diesel considering the price of some of the machinery that it goes into, and could hardly see the engine manufacturers modifying every diesel engine that might be run on red diesel to suit an inferior fuel.

I think the cleanliness issue the guy was refering to was that it normally comes in drums having been pumped out of a tank, therefore getting some dirt or grit in it would be quite easy.

Thanks guys.

Gary G J> > Without debating the legality of it, is it possible to run an HDI on

Reply to
Brainfire

Hmmm, well this came from another forum.... no wonder I'm confused!

I once had a HDI diesel van in with a melted battery--The fault--Red diesel in the fuel tank.

4 HDI > No, I wasn't even thinking of the chip fat mixture at all - not being
Reply to
Brainfire

Sounds like a rumour spread by the inland revenue to me. Put it this way, I have a hdi van and if someone gave me an endless supply of red diesel and a guarantee that VOSA sitting on the A10 in Norfolk would not pull me over to check the colour of my diesel I would more than happily put it in my van. :o)

Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

usually the diesel at your station contains less sulfer and is therefore quit a lot cleaner to burn however you HDi wil run fine on red diesel as it wil on household fuel UNTIL you chip tune it. the HDi engines are tuned to run just fine on lower quality fuels *( households fuels usually are ) if you decide to take lets say a 2.0 HDI to on and abou 200 BHP ( easy enough) then your fuel should be of a more consitant quality to maintain some sort of reliability. tune a 110 BHP to lets say 150 BHP then you are fine running it on european commercial availiable fuel.

Reply to
Marc Amsterdam

complete and utter nonsense. the viscosity of red and normal diesel is the same.

Reply to
Marc Amsterdam