ipod in 406

Hi,

I have a 406 (2002) with a Clarion RD3-01 which has an autochanger input but with no autochanger.

I planned to use this input to connect my ipod (i.e. as an aux input). Has anyone done this & if so what is the pin-out on the lead as I guess I have to fool it into thinking that there is a CD in etc.

Thanks

Russ

Reply to
Russ Sion

if you google you might find a lead that makes your ipod emulate a cd changer

its called icelink costs about 115 quid

Marc

You might find this better - turns iPod into FM transmitter

costs $35 and they ship worldwide ... lots of other ipod goodies too

Cheers

Reply to
Wichita

and it does not work in a 406, the windows do not pass the fm signal because of theire coating, AND, Fm transmitters are almost in all europe illigal when used in the frequenty band of FM radio....

furthermore the FM band sounds not half as good as a direct audio input from the ipod into your clarion radio

your damn right cheers ;-)

Reply to
Marc

Where were you thinking of putting your iPod? On the roof? ;-) Surely it's plugged into the iPod and then that's either in a holster on the dash (you can use a generic mobile phone holder) or left on the passenger seat.

Not with such a small range

There is that! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt

The bit about signal is true, I know I know somebody who has one of those debvices. It does drop a lot of signal going throught he windows as Marc said. it has to send the signal from near the Ipod to above the car where the arial is.

A slightly different option is a FM modulator but not transmitter. Ypu plug it in the arial lead, it emulates a signal but doesn't transmit one via FM, so there is no degredation. admittedly still not as good as a wired link to the line inputs. Link to ebay ( NO I am not selling it)

Yes they are still illegal in the UK despite a pitifully small range, it is the frequency they operate on not their power that is the issue.

But Matt you are spot on with "FM band sounds not half as good as a direct audio input from the ipod into your clarion radio"

Reply to
Andy C

where do you think the antenna is? trust me i've tryed, it wont work unlees you'r using a half watt or more

over here ( holland ) it is, you'll get a fine and your ipod will be confiscated, with a little bad luck the whole car....

Reply to
Marc

I assume you are referring to the transmitter and not the modulator? RF modulators are not illegal in the UK. Sony still sell a CD changer with a low powered output with several channels in the 88MHz range.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Opps, yes Jim you understood me correctly, the transmitters are illegal, modulators are perfectly legal.

Andy C

Clearly the signal has to get from the iPod, to the aerial :)

Think about it :)

Yes, with ANY range. FM transmitters that broadcast on the commercial frequency bands are illegal in the UK.

But who cares - if you want one, then go for it. You have *zero* chance of being prosecuted.

Reply to
Nom

You best leave it out of holland then!!!

Reply to
Marc

Doh! Just did - should have before! :-)

Oh? Well you learn something new every day!

:-)

Matt

I've tried an iTrip and although it does work OK its not great - also "Free bands" change as you drive round the country requiring retuning. Altogether a very ienelegant solution for a very elegant device. Connecting straight into the multichanger input has got to be the way to go. Just need to get pin-out info.

Russ

Reply to
russ

that's what i said!get an Ice link, you get to control your ipod by the changer controls on your radio....

Reply to
Marc