nasty noise from 106

First post here so hello all.

I bought a 1992 106XN 1.0 with 92k on the clock a couple of weeks ago and after four or five hundred miles I'm becoming more and more aware of a nasty sound from somewhere at the front of the car. At first I thought it was a wheel bearing but I now think it maybe be something a little more fatal.

There's what may be desribed as a grindy / squeaky noise that is dependant on the revs. It is at its loudest when I lift off the accelerator and the car is coasting in gear; for instance going down hill or slowing on a motorway sliproad. To my untrained ear it sounds like the gearbox or somewhere in the bottom end of the engine that's at fault. Does anyone have an opinion on what would be most likely to be could be causing this?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Gerry Moore.

Reply to
Gerald Moore

"Gerald Moore" wrote in message news:cupm5v$jhs$5$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk...

Could be a cam tensioner roller.

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Check the driveshafts......

Aat

"Nik&Andy" schreef in bericht news:421061d3$0$1309$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net...

Reply to
Aat van den Bos

Thanks for your replies people, I'll brave the cold on my day off from work tomorrow, stick a jack under the car and give things a shake to see what, if anything, moves in the driveshaft area. It's certainly not showing signs that I would recognise as a worn CV joint, ie, clunking when turning on full lock. As for the cam tensioner theory, that sounds possible too. It sounds like a worn bearing type noise but not really in the wheel area.

Apart from the problem I'm talking about I'm very happy with my little 106, particularly as it cost me all of £120. It seems to run quite well otherwise. A nice change from the various Saabs I've been driving for the last ten years or so. Certainly a lot more economical.

Thanks again.

Gerry.

Aat van den Bos wrote:

Reply to
Gerald Moore

cambelt tensioner is my guess, replaced a few of these over the years, if the noise is affected by engine speed and is still present when car is stationarry then disregard the driveshafts despite there notority for wear. isolate the alternator bearings and alternator belt tensioner by removing the belt and running the engine. regards. steve.

Reply to
anon