noise

Has anybody heard of this before? a diesel engine very noisey when start up.and when still cold. gave it a oil change and flter now it is very quite.

Reply to
Chrs

Yes, if the engine has hydraulic lifters and the previous oil was the the wrong grade or too low in the sump, another reason can be a low quality pattern oil filter which allows too much oil to drain back into the sump after the engine is switched off. My HDi clatters when cold and until after I change gear into 2nd for the first time each day, ever since the last service. I disputed the oil change with the garage who then repeated it with an OEM filter and showed me the oil container and grade and filter before they were installed.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

Sounds normal to me. Both my citroen (xantia 1.9TD and BX 1.9D) were like that but the rattliness soon returned. It didn't seem to affect the engine as they were both well into the 150k miles before I got rid of them.

Reply to
malc

There are two basic types of oil filter element - those that have non-return valves and those that don't. If the filter is in such a position that it can drain when the engine is not running, it will need to be of the type with a non-return valve, or the first few seconds of oil flow after the engine has started will be devoted to filling the filter, not lubricating the rubbing and rotating bits that really need it. As you can imagine this is Not a Good Thing, so it is just as well to make sure you are using the correct type of element. Most filter element catalogues will show whether a non-return valve is fitted.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

This engine has over 256367 on the clock and still gos very well.the only thing that has to be done is anti roll bar rubbers and fit a new alterantor belt.

chris addlestone surrey

Reply to
Chrs