Peugeot 106 diesel running rough when cold

Hi I?ve got an R reg, 1997, 1527 CC Peugeot 106 diesel with 80,000 miles. When it?s started from cold it runs really rough, missing and coughing out blue smoke. This only goes on for about 10 minutes until it?s warming up then it runs perfect, no smoke or anything. I have changed the fuel filter, oil+filter and there are also no air bubbles in the fuel line. The power is smooth and fine when warm and it doesn?t rattle or anything. The cold starting device, attached via cable to the water hose, works and returns fully when the car is warm. It also opens fully when cold.

Thanks in advance Andy

Reply to
cosmicdance

Check the valve clearances. I'll bet at least one is too tight.

Reply to
Brian

That's just what I was going to say. It happened on my wife's 106 except it was only noticable at idle and the engine juddered like a big juddery thing. I took it to a garage in Bristol who diagnosed tight tappets and a slightly sticky valve [1]. They did the adjustments and put some diesel additive in which cleans injectors and valves. Now it's smooth and the fuel economy has increased from about 47mpg to 58mpg. Well worth it for £140.

[1] It wasn't worth taking the head off to free the valve up, the car was only £750 three years ago.
Reply to
Malc