Pug 406 HDi Excessive 'Clatter'

Hi guys, You've been a great source of info in the past. So here goes, 2001 HDi Exec 100k miles recently serviced so all fluids topped (abd checked). There's a strange clattering noise across all rev ranges and is more noticable once into 4th and 5th gear. I know you get the bag of spanners bit with the diesel but this sounds like a constant chattering noise like a loose cover or something. Have checked the obvious and everything seems to be in place but its still making this noise.

Is it to do with the time of year i.e cold air? The noise is pretty much there all the time at the moment and doesn't go away when the cars warmed up. The timing belt was changed about 4k miles ago would this have anything to do with it?

TIA

Reply to
Longshot

It probably IS due to having had the timing belt changed. We experienced exactly the same problem after having the belt changed on my wife's 406 HDi. According to our dealer (Castles, Leicester), the noise is coming from the belt tensioner which is "hammering". Seems like it does not like to be distrurbed. It works fine until the belt is changed and then has a sulk.

In our case, the problem resolved itself within a couple of weeks. Sounds like it's gone on longer with you. I'd refer it back to the garage that did the belt change.

Probably unrelated to this episode (unless anybody knows differenetly), the crankshaft pulley started to fall apart within a couple of weeks of the belt change. That was a VERY expensive repair. Watch out.

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Dalgleish

Suggest you return the car ASAP to the garage that recently serviced it and ask them. Even if someone was able to give you a reliable suggestion of what may be wrong with your car, what would you do with the information?

Reply to
Peter