rattle

This is doing my head in, a rattle first thing when car has been standing all night and it gos away after about 3 secs of engine running ,have replaced the fan belt the belt tensioner so any body got any idea what it could be, sprayed oil on fan belt and it stops, so could it be the belt too lose?

Reply to
Chrs

Sounds like the oil filter draining. Have you changed it lately? If you have you didn't get one with an anti-drain valve.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Possible early signs of the crankshaft pulley going. It is rubber bonded on 406's and is a known problem. It may apply to the 405 as well.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Also i have notice when it got wet when i washed the engine and got the bottom pulley wet thats when the noise was there.it has only started first thing in the morning,the rest of the day it is not there, also the engine has not lost any power at all,

Reply to
Chrs

Have been outside and had a look at fan belt i can turn belt from 1/4 to nine to 12 oclock if ppl can understand this, so i think its a job to tighten the belt up first to see if that gets rid of this bloody rattle first thing when starting up..

Reply to
Chrs

You 'sprayed oil on the fanbelt'? Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!! Leave the poor car alone.

Reply to
Shiver Me Timbers

yeap and it stopped it for a time..

Reply to
Chrs

Yes I had the same problem with brakes shoes keep squeaking once. I just covered them in oil and they were fine afterwards.

Reply to
Shiver Me Timbers

it was wd40 not oil like i said in the last list i turned the fanbelt side ways and it gos from 1/4too to 12 oclock so i think it is the belt

Reply to
Chrs

Chris. the only thing to put on a fan belt is brake fluid.

Bryan

Reply to
Zoab

And does that stop it making a noise? never heard of that before

Reply to
Chrs

Oil and rubber do not mix, the oil rots the rubber. In the old days if you had a squeak on a pulley, a drop of brake fluid was the standard method of stopping the squeak, but never ever oil.

Bryan

Reply to
Zoab

Its more of a rattle than a squeak.its not there all the time like today no noise from it first thing.and i have been stopping and starting alday with out any noise.i have been told it could be the fan belt too loose and when it gets a little warm or hot it dont make any noise.

Reply to
Chrs

Chris, reference my earlier contribution. If the 405 has the rubber bonded crankshaft pulley it is worth checking out because what you describe is exactly how my 406 behaved when it was on the way out.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

have checked the bottom pulley and it is all steel no rubber on it all

Reply to
Chrs

Ah well, at least you have eliminated one possibility. It will be interesting to see what turns out to be the problem. I was hoping Nigel or GT might spot this thread because they invariably come up with the best answers.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Been away for a week, and I haven't got the beginning of this thread. Just been on Google to read from the start. I presume the car is a 405? Chris, have you actually tightened the belt yet? You say you have changed the belt and tensioner. Were they both Peugeot parts or cheap pattern ones? If the noise goes away when you put oil on the belt, or WD40 then I would think there is a problem in that area. Try tightening first. It's difficult to say how tight as you are supposed to use a special gauge, but a quarter of a turn on the longest run should be tight enough.

Reply to
Nigel

Cor, that was quick Nigel. I feel like Aladdin when he rubbed the lamp ;o) Assuming the week away was holiday I trust it was good.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

That thing has been as good as gold alday today,the other thing is i had to check the air in my tyres the other day because i found my power steering light,when i pulled up at tescos found that the front ones had

46psi in each one and back one had 35psi.i reset the front ones for 31psi and backs to 32psi i also checked these when the car had been standing for4 hrs just incase the heat made the tryes swell up.now i know that i am turning my wheels,which i like to feel.all the parts are Peugeot parts fitted, have been told by peugeot at walton on thames it sounds like the belt just needs doing up a little bit more, also they said it will not hurt to leave it for now, so i might say sod it and leave it,Thank you too you of you that replyed to me about this matter,this group have been very helpful to me over the years that i have been on here,
Reply to
Chrs