replacing front bulbs on my 307

Hi - I could use some help with my 307

I want to replace 2 bulbs (one on each side) on the front of my 307 and the owner's manual suggests you just take off a cover and pop them out. In reality this is not as simple as it sounds.

does anyone have any idea how to replace bulbs on the driver or passenger side (there are different "obstructions" on either side) because this is driving me mad.

I refuse to take my car in to the local peugeot dealer to get these changed since this usually entails a wait of over an hour..

can anyone help me out here? Justin.

Reply to
justinkinnear

Headlamps? Welcome to the Peugeot experience! Whoever approved this design clearly hated car drivers.

Either side requires someone with very small hands to lend you one, but I'm sure even they will end up scratched to hell.

Passenger side you should be able to remove (twist) the big black disc from the rear of the headlamp unit and unplug the wires before unclipping the clip holding the bulb in. Then its replace bulb and refit in reverse. If you can do it without breaking the bulb youve done better than me.

The driver side is a nightmare. Ive had to remove the Screenwash bottle filler pipe and cover by popping the plastic plugs on the left. (mind you dont lose them)

Its then the same as the passenger side. Careful when you refit the filler pipe on the wayback out or it leaks.

Ive managed this a couple of times and when ive grabbed the electrical connectors the lamp has started working again. SO it might be worth keeping your lamps on till you've checked them.

If anyone has any hints please reply to me too.

Reply to
Ian O'Dowd

Dipped beam. Remove the cover (twist anticlockwise). Pull the connector off the back of the bulb. Press the clip forward and then to the side to unclip it. Renew bulb. Reinsert the clip on the bulb and reconnect the wires. Refit the cover (twist clockwise with the "Valeo" at the bottom. Main beam. The same but it's behind the lower cover and not too easy to get to. Sidelight bulb. Behind the main beam cover. Just grasp the holder twist and pull. The capless bulb just pulls out.

Reply to
nigel

Well, at least the book suggests that you can do it, the book for my daughter's Lupo just says, if a bulb goes, return the car to a VW dealer. And that is for all bulbs.

Reply to
Brian

Yes, it is very, very difficult. I recommend that it be done with a pair of long nose pliers, a torch and a small mirror. The wire clips which hold in the halogen unit are not the "squeeze and pull" type as you would expect, but are the "push-in and slide away" type. They are impossible to see, making re-assembly very difficult and very frustrating - which is why you need the mirror. Don't attempt it in the dark! One side has the plastic sofit, which shrouds the screen washer filler and the coolant reservour, the sofit must be carefully removed. A swiss army knife blade will dislodge the clasp for the washer filling tube, and the two push-fixers for holding the sofit in place. A small rubber band will secure the filler tube to something while you set about replacing the bulb.

Thinking about it, it isn't too bad to let the Peugeot mechanic do it for you - at least he will guarantee his workmanship.

Sargasso_c.

Reply to
sargasso

I replaced the headlight bulb on the driver's side (right) yesterday evening without any problems - and did it in the dark with the aid of a torch.

There is no need to move the washer filling tube. The sofit is held in place by two plastic clips. The way to release them is to press down GENTLY on the centre part of the clip. If you press too hard, you will push the centre part right through and never see it again. Having removed the two clip, the sofit should then swing up out of the way.

Reach in and twist off the cover at the back of the headlamp. Pull off the plug the connects the two wires to the bulb. Stand in front of the car facing the windsrceen. Press the top of the wire clip holding bulb in place towards the front of the car and then a little to your left (towards the right side of the car). The bulb should loosen and the clip will remain attached to the bulb socket at the bottom.

Insert new bulb etc. When replacing the sofit, the two-part clips need to have the centre part higher initially when you first press the clip in. Finally press down on the centre part, but not too hard or you will depress it too far and loosen the clip again.

Now... for the nearside headlamp. Go to your dealer. That one totally defeated me as I do not seem to have hands small enough for the job.

I have never had to replace the mainbeam bulbs yet but I'd imagine that the job is, again, easier on one side or the car than on the other.

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Dalgleish

Actually the main beam bulbs are more difficult, as they are recessed far deeper into the headlight, and the little motor which adjusts the beam height also gets in the way. I think this is where the mirror becomes indispensible.

Reply to
Brian

Hello, I have a 2003 307 XSi (in Australia, this is the 3 door model with

2.0lt engine). I have purchased three sets of Xenon HID kist to replace all the existing headlamp bulbs. Any suggestions for me? Dan.

Brian wrote:

Reply to
tricky4000