Speedo Update

Hi Everyone,

Thought id let you have an update on my Speedo - which still doesnt work even after £600 of work.

What I am wondering now is what the law states with regard to a working speedo/mileometer. It doesnt bother me because I have now got used to using the REV clock to work out my speed.

However, can i be "done" by the police? MOT people? - what about when I come to sell the car?

I am very reluctant to spend any more money on the speedo/mileometer!!!!

Any help appreciated, Oli

Reply to
Oli

Every car needs a working speedo. Yes you can get done. How the hell can you spend £600 trying to fix a speedo though? If you replaced every single part in the chain it wouldn't cost that much.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Dave not as good as his previous CD Philadelphia

Reply to
John Hollinshead

I ran a Volvo with a non working speedo that went though 3 mots without a problem. I just used what gear I was in to what revs I was doing for the speed. I knew the car pretty well for revs/gears before it went.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

speedo/mileometer!!!!

Didn't the examiner question why the Odometer read the same mileage for those three tests?

Reply to
Nick (UK)

Oli, Missed the start of your thread so don't know the full details. I've got exactly the same problem but also the rev counter just sticks at 1800 rpm. I did however come across the speedo problem on another forum and a couple of threads that describe what the problem was and eventually solved. I haven't got round to sorting mine yet though.

"The problem was with a small black box of electronics about the size of a cigarette packet that is located behind the glove compartment. Sorry, I can't remember the part number. It cost about £40 and is easy to fit, you can do it yourself."

"I also have been having trouble with my speedo as well. I replaced the gearbox sensor[part no 616064, £53.03] but to no avail. I have now ordered the modulator box [part no 1929SJ, £38.83] which the garage are fitting just now. If it is not that then the speedo, which is one complete unit with the other dials costs £168."

"Just picked the car up after having the modulator box replaced and the speedo is working ok"

Any help??

Regards

Pete

Reply to