SSP Engineering

Hi all,

Can anyone help me, I was gonna order a new rear beam for my Pug 205 GTI

1.6.... I was gonna order from SSP Engineering and wondererd if firstly anyone had used them before, and secondly if it would be better for me to order an upgrade, and what would be involved..

Say I ordered one for a 309, I understand it would be widder, but what else would I have to do to fit it to my car..? brakes etc etc...

Or do I stick with a standard 205 one...

Thanks for any advice...

Reply to
Paulinho

I used them last summer and watched while they replaced the rear suspension of 405 estate. All was, and still is, fine. They also did the cam belt and some other stuff. Strange place in the country near Honiton, very relaxed about life. But engineering wise they seemed to know exactly what they were doing.

As to 205/309 I would ask them ::: they'll know.

Cheers

Paul> Hi all,

Reply to
Wichita

"" wrote: > Hi all, > > Can anyone help me, I was gonna order a new rear beam for my > Pug 205 GTI > 1.6.... I was gonna order from SSP Engineering and wondererd > if firstly > anyone had used them before, and secondly if it would be > better for me to > order an upgrade, and what would be involved.. > > Say I ordered one for a 309, I understand it would be widder, > but what else > would I have to do to fit it to my car..? brakes etc etc... > > Or do I stick with a standard 205 one... > > Thanks for any advice...

As I said in the other post the 309 has a higher ride height, and only the 1.9GTi is wider with discs. Get a 205 1.9GTi rear assmebly from someone like the company I mentioned in the other post, or a scrappy. You may need to change you braking system from a front/rear split to a diagonal split and fit inline comepnsators from the 1.9. Your compensator should be in the engine compartment and I would doubt if it will cope with discs. If you leave the front brakes as they are the bias will be slightly further back than it should be, as it is with my 205D, but it?s not enough to cause lockup and if you fitted larger front calipers it would sort itself out.

Finally something I know stuff about :D I bet someone says I don?t :lol:

Streltsky

Reply to
Streltsky
"

What price did you pay for the rear suspension? My estate has done a lot of miles and suspension still looks ok but hoping to keep the car even if the suspension goes. Probably the most expensive part to replace after the engine.

Reply to
sid

see their web page

or give them a ring. The first clue I had with mine wasn't looks but the funny irregular cracking noise on bumps ...

Cheers

Reply to
Wichita

Well the web site says £340 fitted but did you pay more, or less? I did phone some time ago but they stated that the web price was incorrect!

Reply to
sid

Not going to disagree, BUT..... If the 309 has a higher ride height, have it lowered a notch on the radius arms while it's out of the car. 309 IS wider than the 205 1.9 Gti axle. See May edition of Practical Performance Car magazine (

) where they fit a 309 axle to their Mi16 engined sprint 205.

-- R

Thats looks like a good mag, I get Track & car conversion, and also Retro cars...

So all in favour of me getting a 309 rear beam.... say I !!! Do i get the GTI one and just put on my rear drums... would that work ok..

Reply to
Paulinho

Get the 1.9GTi. It?ll save you having to mess about with hubnuts everytime you want to check your brake wear because it?ll have discs :) Check about the compensators first though. Also I?m not sure if the stub-axle on the 309 is of a differant size so a full swap would probably be a better choice.

Good luck

Streltsky

Reply to
Streltsky