1999 GTP trunk condensation

My new-used '99 Grand Prix gtp.... i see that the 'soggy trunk / wet spare tire well' is a common problem with many cars. the dealer told me it was simply condensation and, if i wanted, he could, "drill an 1/8 inch hole in the bottom of the spare tire well to let it drain out"...Doh! No! (thats what the two rubber plugs are for) i'm thinking it might be the result of a poor weld sealing job, a plugged run-off tube, or actual condensation. the first two i can fix.....what if it IS condensation? any ideas? thx

Reply to
rollandb

Condensation!? Ha-ha, that's a good one. Your car has a water leak near or in the trunk area. Find someone you trust that can operate a water hose. Remove all the stuff from the trunk, get a flashlight and a screwdriver, crawl in and shut the trunk. Have your friend water the rear of the car while you look for leaks. Concentrate on the tail light seals and body seams. The screwdriver is so you can get out if you friend gets tired and goes home.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

and body seams.

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Heh.... I guess you can just take a remote control.. i guess you can open trunk from inside with it;)

Reply to
Dmitry

Rolland, Pull all your stuff & the interior trim pieces (4 pieces plus floor mat) out of the trunk. Take a 2 litre empty soda bottle, fill with water. Leave the trunk deck lid open Slowly, meticulously pour water down on rear window, let it flow down drain channels (at base of rear window & along sides of trunk opening), down through drain holes at tail lights. You'll be able to see exactly where the water is entering. If you have the rear pass thru in back seat, get in car & look through that into the trunk also. You will see exactly how the water is coming in. Believe me, I've been through this deal with Bonnevilles. Chances are greater that it is not the rubber body seal that seals the deck lid, but a body seam in the interior of the unibody (that makes up the trunk) structure back there. Good Luck! I don't think it's condensation.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

Reply to
null

Also check for leaks around the spoiler mount holes ( of equipped ). Body caulk around where the tail panel is fused to the quarter panels is another area to watch.

Clear Silicone sealer fixes lots of things.

good luck

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~282,900 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face