2000 Grand Am longevity

I have a 2000 Grand Am, 6 cyl, 85,0000 miles, that I have had since new. I've been happy with it so far. No problems except replacing the water pump twice. I'm trying to decide whether to put a few dollars into it and plan to keep it for a few more years, or get rid of it while it still has some value and move to something else. Does anyone have a sense of the longevity of these models? Anything in particular I should watch out for or plan on repairing/replacing in the next

30,000 miles? Thanks
Reply to
ziphius

I cant speak for the 6cyl.,I have a 2002, 4 cyl. with 80,000miles.The only items that went were a blower resistor ($40) and an O2 senor ($104).

Reply to
DanFXR

That's actually not that bad at all for that ammount of miles...

Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

Almost any vehicle will go 300k miles if properly taken care of. YOu did not mention fixing the leaking intake gaskets. If you intend on keeping the car you might want to have them fixed. Soon.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

how do you get rid of the change engine oil warning light? i bought the car used and changed the oil right after buying it and now the damn light comes on....and i never received a manual with the car. should i disconnect the battery to reset the computer? :-(

Reply to
barnrat

I don't know. Almost every vehicle is different. Some are simple, some are really weird. No. NEVER disconnect the battery. Go here and register and download the owner's manual:

=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Why do you say NEVER disconnect the battery?

Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

Who the f**k do you think you're fooling SPAMMER? Quit posting your cheesy link or we'll report you to: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

OrgName: Cox Communications Inc. OrgID: CXA Address: 1400 Lake Hearn Drive City: Atlanta StateProv: GA PostalCode: 30319 Country: US

Reply to
Peter Daly

It's almost broken in. Regular maintenance...plugs, wires, belts, hoses and drive on. You will get far more miles per dollar for the next

85,000 than you did for the first 85,000. If you keep it.
Reply to
Old And In The Way

No, you should get a manual and then follow it.

Reply to
Old And In The Way

Few drivers know their radio lock code. The pcm will be reset. Granted, those are not critical functions, they just cause needless fustration and worry.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Down south here in Texas the bodies last quite a while, My 93 GA still has good looking paint and while some of the plastic has developed that white oozing that plastic in the sun gets the car still looks and runs great (33 mpg on a trip at thanksgiving).

I haven't lost a water pump yet but I have replaced alternators twice.

I have no complaints with my car, and will be keeping it till it dies.

Reply to
john graesser

Reply to
DanFXR

Have you had to deal with the intake manifold gasket yet? If not, you will have to at some point. I too have a 2000 GA, and just had the wonderful fun of having the IM gasket replaced. Apparently this gasket fails on every 3400 engine at some point.

Other than that, I have no complaints either about my GA.

Reply to
quiet_table

We owned a 1999 GA and are aware of and have personally experienced the following recurring problems:

Drivers side window failing Brake rotors warping Early excessive front brake pad wearing Heater blower loosing lower settings Early alternator problems

Traded in the car when the coolant level started dropping.

Reply to
Keyser Soze

warping rotors and premature pad wearing point to the driver, not the car

Reply to
M.C. Tee

Never had that problem with any other car and I've been driving for 40 years. If you do a google on GA rotors you will find many GA drivers who drive like myself.

Reply to
Keyser Soze

There is a reset button in the fuse panel on the side of the dash on the driver's side.

Hold the button, turn the ignition to ACC and wait until you hear the beeps or chimes.

the hold it/key position until it beeps and resets.

Autozone should be able to tell you how to do it.

Reply to
Northcat

Brake Rotor warping could also be caused by incorrectly bleeding the brakes when replaced.

I drive the hell out of my 00' GA GT and have not had brake rotor problems.

If your heater blower is losing it's lower settings...it's not the switch GM dealer (that's what they tried to tell me)...typically that's the motor going bad. There is a short in the motor's armature or one of the magnets is cracked or broken all together. Replace the motor...3 screws, 3 bolts,

10 minutes.
Reply to
Northcat

If the lower settings on the blower are not working, it is not the blower motor but is instead the blower resistor, which can be replaced for around, $40.

Reply to
Scott F.