2000 Grand Am

My son is looking at a 2000 Grand Am (I forget the sub-model letters) that seems to be in great condition. It's got a dohc 4 cylinder engine & auto trans (with no dipstick!), with anti-lock brakes and what seems to be switchable traction control (a pushbutton labeled "ETS" and, when it's pushed, the word "traction" lights up in a corner of the dash). It's also got fog lights, power windows, remote control outside mirrors, 6 speaker CD stereo and, apparently, an alarm (an LED so labeled on the dash and the doors lock themselves a couple of seconds after the button is pushed and the door shut).

One of his co-workers said he had a bad experience with a Grand Am, so I figured I'd inquire here as to general opinion on them and if there's something to watch out for (especially after a bunch of years and miles).

Thanks.

Reply to
Ron Seiden

IMO, its a decent car. Comfortable. Parts are plentiful. Take good care of it and it should last at least 15 years.

Reply to
« Paul »

I have a 2001 with a V6 and have had leaking manifold gaskets replaced, which won't be an issue with the I4. Also the heater blower resistor pack replaced. They are known to go through front wheel bearings, but mine are still holding in there. Other than that, no issues and it seems to be a very solid car and it drives great.

Reply to
doane_nut

While GM did make improvements in the DOHC 4 cylinder WRT leaking head gaskets and cracking cylinder heads, it is still a $1000+ job to replace the water pump.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

My sister had an '04 and now an '03. She loved them both. The only reason she got rid of the '04 was someone t-boned her doing 60km/h. It was a mini-van, and it hit the passenger door. Neither my sister or her passenger were injured, other then a cut here and there from the broken glass. I was very surprised at how well the car held up. The insurance company wrote it off due to structural damage, but like I said, the passengers were fine. They also drive very nicely down the road, corner well, and that 6-speaker sound system is quite good for stock.

Reply to
80 Knight

Reply to
DanFXR