89 pontiac bonneville drivabillity problems

Hi all, I have a 1989 bonneville that is doing some weird things. The car runs fine for the most part. but under full throttle accelleration the car stumbles and pops until you let off of the gas. This is not the only time the car does this though, sometimes the car will sputter under moderate throttle such as going up an on ramp. when the car acts up, you can feel it surge some times and other times it feels as if it is only running on 2 cylinders. Usually if I let off the gas the car will pick back up and it will accellerate properly. I have checked for code, there were none, have cleaned the injectors, changed the fuel filter, plugs wires O2 sensor, and usual tuneup stuff. IS there anyone here that knows what is wrong with this thing? Please help!!!!

Reply to
moturbopar

My '91 Bonnie was doing much of the same things as yours, and the problem ended up being a bad coil pack.

Reply to
80 Knight

Have you noticed any relationship to the amount of fuel in the tank? I've had a couple of Bvilles that started to have problems on ramps and during turns once the fuel got below a quarter-tank. I've never been sure the root of that problem but it seems inherent in the fuel system design and is best avoided by not letting the tank get too low.

The other suggestion of a coil pack is worth looking into as well; my '89 went through at least one of those too.

JGM I'm JGM, and I approved this message.

Reply to
JGM

That is a very good point. I forgot to say it when i first posted. My '91 Bonnie gets, as you said, to around 1/4 of a tank of gas, and every turn or ramp or what not, she chugs.

Reply to
80 Knight

It sounds like they are not at 1/4 tank, but just say they are. Have you ever looked up the tank capacity in the O.M. and then filled the tank to calculate how much gas you really had? Just curious GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

The on ramp sputter sounds like your fuel pump is weak. Mine did the same thing on On / Off Ramps. Even when I had a full tank it would sputter, but never under regular driving conditions, only on this one cloverleaf ramp. With 250,000 miles on it I replaced the fuel pump and now I can take the upward sweeping clover leaf ramp floored & no bogging or sputtering.

Try a full tank of gas first and go up a ramp you know your car will sputter on.

Also mentioned was a coil pack, you can test the coil by going across the two terminals of the three coils, If its lower than 8 ohms one is bad.

Good Luck.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~291,400 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Thanks for the info Harry Face. As for my car, it works completely fine (as I recall anyways) no matter what road or hill I am on, until the fuel level reaches 1/4 or a tad below. Another thing that ticks me off is that my "Low Fuel" light on the Driver Info Center does not come on until the car is around 5 seconds from gasping for it's last breath of gas. lol Well, actually, I do manage to get to a gas station, but only if one is really close by. I would hate to see those little words if I was on a major highway, and not paying attention to the gas gauge...Does your Bonnie do the same?

Reply to
80 Knight

Knight

No Low Fuel Light on my car. I have an accurate gauge.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~291,400 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

My guage is accurate too, it's also used to being at the 1/4 or less mark. :-P

Reply to
80 Knight