92 Bonneville stalling

I have a 92 Bonneville SE that stalls when I pull up to a light, stop sign etc. It accelerates fine (normal) but when I let off gas it wants to stall, the system monitor dings and the check engine light flashes on????? Any ideas? How do I get the error code from the check engine light?

Reply to
thinman

I shorted the A & B posts in the ECM and got 2 codes. The first code was "31". Three flashes-pause-1 flash. Then I got the code "58". I can't find any reference to the codes anywhere. I double checked that these were the correct flashes, pauses etc. I need help!!!! The car will idle perfect for about 30 seconds to a minute then just quit. It will restart with no problem then do the same.

Reply to
thinman

This page should help:

80 Knight

There is a good chance that any codes you get will be pretty meaningless due to the engine running at low rpm and then quitting. Do the usual (check and clean): TPS, MAF, MAT, EGR, IAC, vac lines, throttle plate/body, plugs, wires, air cleaner, ... ... etc. My guess is the IAC is gunked up.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Code 31 according to the 91 Service manual says its the Park / Neutral Switch circuit - but it doesn't trip the SES light. There is no code 58 listed for 91.

I kind of agree with Paulie that the IAC might be dirty. The IAC only operates at idle, step on the gas it disengages. Try cleaning it out real good with Throttle Body cleaner or Gummout.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,321 miles
Reply to
Harry Face