94 grand prix GTP 3.4 engine-

I have an oil seal leak, I've taken it to several garages and have gotten several different suggestions. So I took it to the dealership, at this point its all torn down and was told it would be at least 20 hours of labor does this even sound remotely possible, if it fixes the problem great. Putting oil in and pouring out the bottom, engine was covered with oil. Took steam cleanin the engine to find out where it was coming from. The engine kept cutting out..

Reply to
totalclassact

It's probably coming from the oil pump drive o-ring seal. Unfortunately...on this engine, you can't replace that seal unless you pull the rear cylinder head. Since the cylinder head gaskets also have a tendency to leak oil, you might just as well replace both head gaskets. Which is why the labour will be so high.

You buy the whizzy high tech vehicles (high tech in it's time) and you gotta pay the big bucks when it comes to fixing them.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Re: 94 grand prix GTP 3.4 engine- Group: alt.autos.pontiac Date: Wed, Jun 8, 2005, 11:04pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (shiden_kai) totalclassact wrote: I have an oil seal leak, I've taken it to several garages and have gotten several different suggestions. So I took it to the dealership, at this point its all torn down and was told it would be at least 20 hours of labor does this even sound remotely possible, if it fixes the problem great. Putting oil in and pouring out the bottom, engine was covered with oil. Took steam cleanin the engine to find out where it was coming from. The engine kept cutting out.. It's probably coming from the oil pump drive o-ring seal. Unfortunately...on this engine, you can't replace that seal unless you pull the rear cylinder head. Since the cylinder head gaskets also have a tendency to leak oil, you might just as well replace both head gaskets. Which is why the labour will be so high. You buy the whizzy high tech vehicles (high tech in it's time) and you gotta pay the big bucks when it comes to fixing them. Ian

On a 3.4 even warrenty dont pay 20 hours for head gasket replacment... Its something like max of 9 hours...Did the dealer even say where it was leaking at and what they were gonna do ? Also why the is it torn down? Or should i say hat have they torn down top engine bottom engine? Let me know ... S Cook

Reply to
Steve Cook