'94 Olds Silhouette 3.8 won't start

Was driving it and doing fine. Suddenly, it just stopped and wouldn't start. Seemed like the battery just went dead. So I checked the cable connections and charged the battery, that didn't do it. Still acted like a dead battery--wouldn't turn over the engine. So i bought a new battery..that allowed it to turn over about 3 times and ALMOST start. Then nothing. Battery acted dead, even tho it was new. I got in on the tail end of the thread about the bad ignition switch. What is the consensus on this? Is it hard to change? Can't find it on the microfische--don't know where to look, altho my friendly parts guy will surely know. Don't really want to just keep changing parts. TIA

John snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
John Wipff

Not particular to your question, but a remark. I see it all the time in this thread. Vehicle won't start, first thing someone does is go buy a new battery. QUIT IT PEOPLE! Go have it charged and tested at AutoZone, Parts America, Pep Boys, or whatever. It doesn't cost anything and will eliminate buying a battery for no reason. THEN start trouble shooting.

Reply to
FBR

IT >PEOPLE! Go have it charged and tested >at AutoZone, Parts America, Pep Boys, >or whatever. It doesn't cost anything and >will eliminate buying a battery for no r>eason.

Hey! I thot Sam's needed the money! Walmart is only THE largest retailer in the WORLD!

But that wasn't actually the FIRST thing I did. I tried to charge it and it wouldn't take a charge. It had been setting for about 3 months, so the battery WAS dead. However, that wasn't the only prob. I really think it's the ignition switch but can't find ANYTHING in ANY manual about where it is or how to R& R it. I'm assuming it is on top of the steering column, as it said in the last bit of the thread I read. However the van is in the street, so I can't open the driver's door for any length of time. That will be fun when I FINALLY get to it!

John snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
John Wipff

This ignition switch is a slider switch that connect to various contacts as you rotates the ignition lock cylinder via a linkage from the steering lock ignition to ignition switch below. So you should be able to turn your ignition lock cylinder forward or backward. If you can not rotate the ignition lock cylinder, it could mean your ignition lock cylinder is a problem. To determine which one, I would check for ignition switch mounted on the steering column 1st as it is easier to replace without special spring compression and steering wheel extraction. Since you vehicle is equip with air-bag, please be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Disconnect the batt for at least

5 to 10 min. Perhaps someone else here can comment about air-bag pre-caution since I have never dis-connected one before.

Anyway, for ignition switch replacement, If (that is if it is) it is ignition switch mounted on the steering column, it is easy to replace.

indicator wire, just un-clip it)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Thanx. I can turn the key OK but it just sounds like a dead battery, even tho it it new.

Sometimes when I jiggle the key, as I try to start it, it will turn over a little and ACT like it wants to start but never quite does. That is what makes me think it is the starter switch.

I got one out of a '94 Pontiac Trans Sport at my local Pick N Pull today. I discovered how to take it off but it's easier to do from the side where I can't open the door because of traffic. It will be a fun job, to say the least.

John snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
John Wipff

Reply to
Paul

Didn't check the starter but the original problem was that it died while driving it. That doesn't sound like the starter--more like a switch or module (if there is one on the 3.8) I'm changing the switch today. Hope that fixes it.