Noisy antilock brakes

I have a 1997 Chevy Cavalier with noisy antilock brakes. I know the noise has to do with the abs because when I bought it used, the abs didn't work and the brakes were quiet. I got the abs fixed later (apparently, a pin on a connecting wire was bent and not plugged in) and now my car brakes real noisy. I think it does a good job of not skidding, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, the PepBoys guy said the noise and jerky feeling of braking was just the way the ABS worked, but the noise really freaks my friends out. Is ABS supposed to sound like a small jackhammer?

Reply to
Nat Jordan

Only when one of the wheels is skidding. It should not feel that way during normal skid-free stops.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Approximately 11/3/03 18:01, James C. Reeves uttered for posterity:

Under normal braking, ABS should not be engaged. If you are braking hard enough to get the ABS involved on dry pavement, either your tires are completely bare or you should have loose objects flying around the inside of the car. It very well could be that the ABS is now coming on when it shouldn't, and this really is not the type of job Pep Boys is the best outfit to trust.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

When the ABS engages, you'll hear a grating-type noise on this system, similar to what you hear in the initialization sequence just after you start the engine. However, unless you are braking on a low-traction surface or braking very hard, the ABS should not be engaging. If it is, it could be something like a bad wheel speed sensor that is falsely indicating that one of the wheels is locking up. Does the ABS warning light ever come on?

If you're getting some really loud noise, though, it could be something else entirely.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Which begs the question - What exactly is the best type of job for Pep Boys? The local Pep Boys can't even figure how to effectively check out Customers. For some reason I find myself in Pep Boys ever once and a while. When I try to pay to buy something, I always end up wondering why I am not over at Advance or AutoZone. At least they have somebody to operate the cash register properly. Some days it seems like Pep Boys doesn't have anyone to check you out.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Yes, ABS is noisy when it kicks in. My question is are you really braking that hard all the time to have it kick in and make all that noise?

-------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

The two AutoZones near me are the same way...usually you have to get checked out in a VERY long line at the parts counter rather than at the empty front register.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Approximately 11/3/03 20:15, C. E. White uttered for posterity:

I used to buy Yokohama's from the local Pep Boys and they managed to balance and mount them reasonably well. Granted it was on a car where overtorque of lugnuts couldn't warp the rotors or I wouldn't have even trusted them with that... Honestly it probably depends on the individual mechanics at the given Pep Boys. Watching the way the shop manager treated the mechanics at this particular Pep Boys was not exactly encouraging to get serious repairs done... speed was his issue, not care or quality, and I suspect a couple of the mechanics would love to shove a torque wrench up his nose or elsewhere.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

It doesn't do it that much. Mostly on gravel or water or downhill sometimes... like I'd expect. It's really the noise that's alarming.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Nat Jordan

Approximately 11/4/03 17:04, Nat Jordan uttered for posterity:

If you are driving on slick stuff and step on the brakes hard enough to engage ABS, on many cars it can make enough noise to scare the crap out of you. It works by pulsing the pressure in the hydraulic lines pretty much full on and full off.... Not as bad as an old DC-8, but it will get your attention. Thought being you might let up on the other pedal just a tad, it not being a good idea to regularly rely on ABS to keep the shiny side up and unbent.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

That's the way it is. You either learn to live with it or get a different car with a quieter system.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez