ebrake light staying on

I got in my car yesterday and warmed it up and it was the coldest day of the year so far and drove for about 1 mile and then the ebrake light went on and it seemed like the brakes were dragging and I could smell them burning. I parked the car and haven't drove it since, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what it might be. I have a 2000 Grad Prix GTP, with ABS. Any suggestions would help thanks

Reply to
hottanya

Are you sure the e-brake was totally off?

Reply to
Jan

YES, I played with it several times. It didn't get put on in the first place.

Reply to
hottanya via CarKB.com

I know with my older Grand Prix, sometimes the e-brake sensor would trip and the light would come on. The first time this happened (I had owned the car for about the same time as you have) I put the e-brake on, took it off, and repeated that several times. Then I took it for a drive, and ended up burning off the plastic bolts that held on one of the rear hubcaps. Took it to a mechanic and he said that because I have never used the e-brake, it got seized up and when I did use it that day, it got stuck on. From then on, if someone accidentally put the e-brake on in that car, I had to get down behind the driver's wheel and beat it off with a hammer. This happened with both of my Grand Prix's. Make double certain the e-brake is off. If the light is on, the brakes feel bad, and you can smell burning, chances are it is not off.

Reply to
80 Knight

thanks I am going to look under it this weekend

Reply to
hottanya via CarKB.com