Grand Prix, strange front end noises?

Hello everyone,

I recently was in an accident with my 2002 GP GT. I was travelling through a green light when a driver travelling the other direction turned left in front of me. The front left quarter of my car was all smucked up.

Long story short, I had it towed to a reputable dealer/ bodyshop here in London, Ontario (MacMaster Chev. if anyone has had experiences...).

From the outside it looks just like new now, but I have returned it to

the bodyshop twice now because it handled very poorly and wouldn't drive straight. It also makes a "clunk" noise when executing slow speed turns, or accelerating and braking. It doesn't happen all the time, but usually a hard acc. or brake causes it to "clunk".

After the second trip back to the dealer the car is reasonably aligned and drives fairly straight, but still not perfect. But, the clunk noise is getting worse. They said they fixed it last time and would only tell me it was a "simple mechanical problem" but nothing else.

Any ideas on what it could be? Before the accident the car drove straight as an arrow, and was one of the smoothest vehicles I have had the pleasure to drive. I was also promised a vehicle in "pre-accident condition" but it doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon. I'm a student and I've worked many long hours at minimum wage to afford this car... and I feel as if they may not be taking me seriouly due to my age. Any advise on this? Any experiences? I don't want to keep returning to the dealer.

Thanks very much in advance for any help on the matter, I appriciate it. Ian snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Snowbelt

Unfortunately your car will never be in "pre-accident condition". You will either have to live with it or dump the car. The clunk could be anything. Noises are difficult to diagnose over the internet. More than likely it's a loose or bad suspension part or engine/trans mounting part. You might want to take it somewhere else for diagnosis only. Have you talked to the insurance companies?

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Ian, "Snowbelt" is a really suitable name from anyone in or around London/Woodstock! *lol* Although this winter has been a rare exception.

The type of accident you describe gives rise to concerns that your car may have incurred undiagnosed front end damage to either the differential/drive train or suspension. MacMaster had an excellent reputation when I lived in London and I'd encourage you to continue working with them. I would strongly suggest, however, that you notify your insurance agent right away that the car "makes a "clunk" noise when executing slow speed turns, or accelerating and braking. It doesn't happen all the time, but usually a hard acc. or brake causes it to "clunk"." Then your agent or an adjuster will give you the go-ahead to have MacMaster further investigate the problem, even if there will be an additional cost to your Insurance Company. The key here is to promptly notify your agent of the continuing problem with your car. Then get it back into MacMaster. Let us know how you make out Ian.

Just out of curiosity, Fanshawe or Western? Or are you even younger than that?

Reply to
Cool Jet

Is it possible it could be the CV boot? Had a similiar noise under similiar circumstances (without a wreck, but a bad rack) with a 6000LE, but knock wood, no such occurances with current Grand Prix or Grand Am.

Reply to
REP

Hi guys,

I really appreciate all the help. I will notify my insurance company in the morning and see what they say. It just burns me up right now because I was not at fault. But I am willing to give MacMaster the benefit of the doubt right now because they make it sound like they are trying to diagnose the problem.

Cool, I am in the Mechanical Engineering Design program at Fanshawe, and actually currently in co-op right now, working at Accuride. I have enjoyed it all so far. And yes, this is not much of a winter we are having right now... aahaha.

Reply to
Snowbelt

Ian, Fanshawe has a great reputation in the business world. As I recall, Accuride is a pretty big company with a U.S. parent. I think I've seen your plant out in the Clarke/Gore Rd. area. Good Luck with your co-op stint and studies! Let us know how you make out with your car.

Reply to
Cool Jet