Idiot lights - 97 Grand Prix

While driving home tonight in my '97 GP GT the dome lights seemed a little dim. Then my ABS light came on....then my break lights came on. I got a little nervous and pulled over. I turned off the car (thinking when I turned it back on all would be well) and restarted it. It almost didn't start..but it did. The 2 lights came back on and then the battery light came on also.

I then drove home (about 1 mile). I thought it the battery needed charging so I put the charger on. The charger showed that the battery was fully charged.

I closed the hood and the car started right up. The dome lights seemed brighter also.

Does this sound like the battery cable may have been loose? Or can something else be going on. I hope my car starts in the morning.

Reply to
JonH

You Alternator is going out.

Reply to
clevere

Your alternator is failing. I have been thru 6 laternators on my 97 Grand Am SE. I got so pissed at PepBoys and raised such a stink to corporate about their shit replacement alternators ( i Basically kept using them since the alternator i had to buy a while back had a lifetime warranty so damn if i wont use it). They finally put in a AC Delco alternator and rewires the complete link wire from the alternator down to the starter.

Reply to
GMAN

You guys were right. I got a new alternator installed today. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
JonH

No problem. Happened to me on my 94 Grand Prix ..

Reply to
clevere