Odometer Numbers Offset

This problem occurred in 1995 when the car rolled over 100,000.

The spool of numbers for the odometer shifted slightly to the right slightly. You can no longer see the numbers on the tenths' ( white wheel - far right side of spool ) wheel roll around as you go drive block to block.

When the car rolled over 200,000 the # 2 is slightly cut off on the left side of the 2. Blocked slightly by the rectangular window cut out of the cluster face.

I forgot about the tenths wheel altogether till last weekend when I dropped a dime on the rug and leaned forward to get it. I needed it for the Ohio toll taker. Glancing on an angle at the odometer while reaching down under the seat for the dime I saw the numbers on the tenths wheel and remembered they were there.

I had the cluster out many years ago and had it apart. The spools looks like there are all together and meshing correctly - no gaps between them.

Just wondering if anybody else has had this happen when their 1990's cars hit 100,000 or 200,000 miles?

I may take it apart again and enlarge the window opening in front of the odometer so all the numbered wheels can be see without having to lean over in the seat, I may tackle it after I see that # 3 turn over!!

1,439 miles out & back to PA this weekend. Running good.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~294,757 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face