My '92 Bonnie can't count any more

I noticed yesterday that the odometer has stopped working on my Bonneville, but the speedometer works fine. Aren't those two connected? I've had this happen on other cars, but it's always been one cable driving the whole thing - speedometer and odometer. I haven't looked at it yet, so I'm not sure what I'm getting into.

Bass Wishes from South Florida Jack

Reply by email to k a z e e jk at ay-oh-well dot com. Just remove the spaces, fix the last part, and so on.

Reply to
Jknomail

Jack, I think you may find that the odometer is mechanically driven while the speedometer is electronically driven. In other words the speedometer is in essence a meter that receives an electrical speed signal to indicate mph.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE
Reply to
markwb

On my 91 there is a tiny electric motor next to the odometer. My trip meter died in 1995 just before the 100,000 mile roll over. I took the cluster out & apart to see whats what.

Couldn't figure out how the trip operated. I saw the electric motor next to the odometer . After looking and studying it I decided the trip meter wasn't that important any more.

Never did fix it. Main reason was I didn't want to mess up the operation of the odometer.

I took one apart at the junk yard once. I removed the odometer / trip meter wheels, but could not get the wheels to free wheel on the odometer so I could not set it to my mileage , I couldn't even get the numbers to roll backwards. Nor could I get the wheels apart as individual pieces. Damn tamper proof parts !!!!

So I figured the hell with. When I checked at the dealer about replacing the trip meter in 1995, the only part that was replaceable throught GM was a drive gear on the odometer side that I didn't need. Nothing for the trip meter was available.

Now the cluster could be sent out for repair, but I geuss GM don't wat anyone doing their own repairs, figuring a guy would roll the mileage back. If anything, I'd set it higher.....lol.

Perhaps you can try getting another motor at the junkyard. 92 is a different cluster than 91, but probably the internal components may be the same.

Worth a try.

good luck.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I guess it's time for a junkyard stroll - not that I mind. It's kind of strange. I really enjoy looking for stuff at the junkyard.

I wonder if similar makes would be the same. I usually don't see a lot of Bonnevilles at the yard, but there are usually other GMs - Buicks, etc - from the same time frame as mine.

I wouldn't care if it was just the trip meter, either. But the odometer is kind of important.

Thanks for the advice - again. I just noticed something. Your '91 has 100,000 miles more than my '92. You must drive a LOT!

--- Borrowed Tag Line follows ---

Jack

1992 Pontiac Bonneville SE ~_~_~only 170,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Jknomail