Past/Present 1994 Grand AM Owners... need your input please!

Hello, I am considering purchasing a 1994 Grand Am SE from a small dealer & would like some help on deciding whether or not to buy it. My first question is how dependable is this vehicle? I test drove it and it seemed perfect (I dont know if thats because it's actually in good shape or just because I'm needing a car *really* bad). It has 162000 miles on it & when I got back from the test drive the dealer made a comment that it was leaking antifreeze & he thought he had fixed it - so now that has me worrying about a breakdown. I went back a few days later and he said he replaced the radiator & it wasnt leaking anymore... I have had horrible luck in buying decent vehicles, even from "reputable" car dealers, so I'm a little gun shy about commiting myself & money into another. The price is $1600 and I would really hate myself it this car is a good buy & I passed it up. Are there any usual problem I can expect from it or I am just being overly cautious? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
Vital

8 cylinder? 6 speed stick shift? twin turbo?
Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

It's an 8 cylinder, sorry.

Reply to
Vital

A 8 banger on a '94 GA....Boy thats a new one on me. I'd think it would have a 3.1 V6. I would have a good mechanic you trust check it out real good before you buy it. A car with that many miles you never know how well it was taken care of.

Good luck,

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

There hasn't been an 8 cylinder Grand Am since around 1980. In 1985 the Grand Am was turned into a little front wheel drive econobox and thats what it has been since.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Ok then I guess that would make it a V6 I'll go back & ask the dealer.

Reply to
Vital

Ok then I guess that would make it a V6 I'll go back & ask the dealer.

Reply to
Vital

Without knowing what you really have, it is difficult to give a meaningful answer.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I went back to double check about this & he said that it IS an 8 cylinder. Now he also has a 1993 Grand AM & says that one is a V6, but the '94 is not.

Reply to
Vital

Stay away from them. They are lying to you. Go somewhere else.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

A 8 banger on a '94 GA....Boy thats a new one on me. I'd think it would have a 3.1 V6. I would have a good mechanic you trust check it out real good before you buy it. A car with that many miles you never know how well it was taken care of.

Good luck,

Thomas

Reply to
rayz

You need to find a different dealer. This one is clueless or flat out lying to you! There has NOT been a V8 Grand Am since it went to front wheel drive in 1985.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Thanks for the advice for all who have replied to my questions; you guys have saved me a TON of money & headaches! I guess I'll head to Car-Mart when Monday rolls around & see what else catches my eye.

Reply to
Vital

A 8 banger on a '94 GA....Boy thats a new one on me. I'd think it would have a 3.1 V6. I would have a good mechanic you trust check it out real good before you buy it. A car with that many miles you never know how well it was taken care of.

Good luck,

Thomas

Reply to
Scott Buchanan