2000 Grand Am CD player installation question

Need advice, I want to put a CD player into my Grand Am that I bought at Best Buy. I took it to a local stereo/alarm dealer and asked about installation. He said that
this model car has to have the original stereo always intact because much of the electrical system is connected to it therefore he would move my stereo to the trunk and wire the new CD player to it. BUT keeping the original stereo connected. OR he had an offer for $100 more to put in a "special" set of wires so the original stereo could be disconnected. Sounds fishy to me.....any comments?
Thanks
Michael Taricani wrote:

Read up on "GM Class 2 Data Bus".
If your Grand AM has the "Monsoon" stereo then your installer is at least partially right. If not, then find another installer.
I don't think the 2000s had the Monsoon system. I had a 99 that did not and an 04 that does.
www.crutchfield.com sells the "special" wires for 80 bucks or so.
Steve