PLEASE HELP-UNUSUAL SUNBIRD PROBLEM

Hi,

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated,my pocket book can't afford any more abuse from mechanics.

I have a 1993 Pontiac Sunbird,4 cyl,automatic with air conditioning.Recently while driving I noticed that my heat gauge starting really moving around and now no hot air comes out of the heater.

The gauge will go up about 3/4's of the way(does not overheat)and then will abruptly go down to the bottom of the gauge and then quite quickly go back to 3/4's,this cycle will continue again and again,still with no heat from the heater.

I have had 2 different mechanics replace the following:

1)heater core 2)thermostat 3)power flush the cooling system

No one seems to have any answers,PLEASE HELP!

Reply to
CBConsulting

Sounds like air in the system. When a batch of hot water hits the temp sender, it goes up. When there is no water on it, it goes down. Get the air out. There should be bleeders. Do it quickly or the engine could be ruined.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

Hi there, not sure if his is related, I am the owner of a blue 93 Sunbird and took the car to Canadian Tire in Dartmouth NS on Jan 9/04 exact same issue you noted here, are you a tech talking about my car or looking for personal use, anyway, I have replaced the heater core 2 times in the last week, the dealer shop told me the Cn Tire one was not good, they were wrong, at this point I have some fool that spent according to him 11 hours working on my car only doing the same exact tests I told them I already paid for or Jan 12 when I picked the car up...Forbes Cev in Dartmouth says they want me to pay $947.01 for telling me they don't know what the problem is, as you can imagine I am enraged, I mean how could I spend a thousand bucks to diagnose nothing but a "we don't know what it is" andespecially since I gave a detailed history of the work already done. Can you possibly shed any light on this situation

things done at can tire Jan 2/04 antifreeze flush and fill

Jan 9-12/04 test for hydrocarbons in antifreeze (71 in fluid & 81 open air, usually a head gasket will give about 1000 or more on this test) no oil in antifreeze no antifreeze in the oil no white antifreeze residue on spark plugs

new heater core thermostat take water pump out inspect and replace flushed system twice again

Forbes chev Jan 21-22/04 (after I told them about what was done already at CT only a couple of days ago...) forward flush reverse flush heater core replace CT heater core install GM core test CT heater core (no issues) replace CT core and remove GM core flusehed system again took water pump out, inspected and re-installed

Still no ideas, only that air might be getting in somewhere...

Reply to
snickelsnort

Here I am again

on the weekend I removed my cylinder head and had a pressure test done, there were cracks between #1 and #2 and inbetween the intake and outtake valves of #2.

Solution: purchase new head and install new gasket, the old gasket was leaking in a couple of locations from outside to the water jacket.

When I reassembled the car I must have set something incorrectly, checked timing, both cam & crank at 12:00, fuel getting to the rails, no codes in computer, still not stating...

so up to this point completely reasembled with engine turning shen trying to start, seems as there is not spark present, after six hrs of troubleshooting I am fresh out of ideas, had towed to shop tonight, find out tomorrow..

Reply to
snickelsnort