Problems

1986 trans am 5.0 fuel injected. Changed steering column, igntion module, mass air flow sensor, another relay, at first the car would turn over and the starter would stay engaged. Removed starter, checked it, fine. Now there is absolutely no power. Battery is charged...but nothing is working. Please any ideas. Been working on this car for a couple weeks now and it's one thing after another. It's my son's car and he needs it for work.
Reply to
oonee

sounds like your ignition switch was hanging up....if you changed the column after the starter stayed engaged and now no power i would check the ignition switch it is bolted on top of the steering column half way between the steering wheel and brake pedal more to the left side......small white/tan box with a metal rod running down the column in to it. it may be out of adjust ment or the actuator rod might not be properly placed.

Reply to
MrGoodwrench

We have the switched the switches. We put the old one back on and still no power. The entire car has no power. The battery is fully charged, but it's not circulating any power anywhere. Checked the wires, they seem okay. There is no power going to the fuse box. I have bought the Chilton's for the car with the wire diagrams, but cannot figure out why no power is circulating. The person who owned the car before is deceased and was in the middle of restoring it. So it's hard to say what all wires he may have done anything to.

Reply to
oonee

I don't know anything about that particular car... but there's usually a "fusible link" somewhere in the line that will melt if you have a major short somewhere; to protect the rest of the wiring. On older (70's) cars it was usually a black phenolic fixture on the firewall... with a strip of aluminum-like material that could be replaced when it melted. On newer (90's) cars I think they use "maxi" fuses in the power distribution center (fuse box)... but I think yours falls into the years (80's) where they used special "hypalon" wires that melt (intentionally) before the important wires do! Maybe look in the Chilton's book (good luck) for "fusible link"? Try Google for "fusible link" otherwise. David

"oonee" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
David Courtney

The main power wires connect to the same ring on the starter as the battery cable. The last few inches of those wires are the fusible links. There are several links that power different groups of components.

The wires/links pass through a guide tube that bolts to the bellhousing. If the guide was left out or the wires are out of place they can melt against the exhaust and short out.

There is also a fusible link for the ECM in the last few inches of wire connected to the positive battery terminal.

-rev

o> We have the switched the switches. We put the old one back on and still no

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light