Radio/Clock Display light out 1998 Bonneville

Hi just wondering if anyone knows how to fix a lights out problem for my display on my 1998 Bonneville radio. Any help would be most appreciated. I saw a new Radio/CD on ebay for this year and thought I might try that if all else fails. They said the theft lock was off? make sense?

Reply to
mister_s

Also I have the controls on my steering wheel, can you replace radio with non-stock radio and still use these controls?

Reply to
mister_s

I've got the same problem & it just began happening about 4 months back. Can't get it to go on, except there were 2x (one last week) where I flicked it & the great orange display appeared for no apparent reason & then after the car was shut down & restarted the next day - gone....

I've also learned from others that this is common on the 98 Bonneville's radio?

i assume its the same problem that happens with alot of pontiacs, both the radio and odometer back light. The one on my odometer went and gm doesn't sell a replacement bulb, so i picked up a small 12v bulb and soldered it onto the pcb

Reply to
M.C. Tee

I have a 97 Grand Am and the same thing happened to me. I pulled out the radio and popped off the face and put it back on after the light came back on. I didn't realize I put the face back on wrong until after the radio displayed SET. After pulling out the radio the second time I recommend to fix the light out to pull the radio out and use a 5mm wrench and a 1/4 wrench to take off the bottom of the radio. Pop off the face plate and the bulb is under a reflector. When putting the face plate back on make sure all the pins line up and place the bottom back on. Good luck if you do it, I plan on selling soon so I didn't want to waste the money on a new radio.

Reply to
pcj