Re: 1977 Trans Am

I'm pretty close to buying a good running 77 that is in good shape for

> it's age with only 101,000 miles. It will not be the primary car, just a > week end thing, so I will sink a little $ in here and there. > Any one here knowledgable about these? > Anything to look for? replace? notorious for going out? pluses? > minuses? > thanks in advance > >

Your main concerns are rust. The worst I've seen is the trunk area. I've seen leaf spring shackles in the trunk! Also check for rust on the dash at the base of the windshield, and the filler panel between the rear window and the trunk lid. Rusted lower fenders and around the wheel opening on the quarter panels are quite normal but not a real concern unless the wheel wells are rusted too.

Mechanically you'd have any of the same troubles you'd expect from a 32 year old car. It just depends how well it was cared for.

Jay S

Reply to
J Stevens