Re: 2.2 Ecotec / Getrag

Haven't dealt with the 5-speed Getrag box in the instance of an '03 Sunfire, I was assuming it'd be a similar design to the 5-speed Getrag used in the Fiero.

Which is a highly saught after box.

Nick.

> > >The 2.2 Ecotec I'm not so sure about, but the 5-speed Getrag box has an > >outstanding track record as a very strong very reliable GM transmission. > > > Really? I just took a pass on the 5 speed because of this: >
> > > I just bought an '03 Sunfire with the auto. I only have 200 miles on > it so far, but the engine is nice and quiet, no vibrations that I can > feel.....I just have to get used to the electronic trans shifting for > me. I've had manual trans in all my cars since '87. > > With the rebates/GMS/Conquest programs, it was cheaper (10k) than my > '98 Saturn SL-2 (15k). And I got a better sound system and a sunroof > too. > > Good Luck > > Tony > > > > >> Hello > >> > >> Thinking about buying a 2003 sunfire base coupe. > >> > >> How many years has GM been putting the > >> 5 speed getrag transmission and > >> ecotec engine in their cars. > >> > >> I want to know if these two parts of the car are reliable. > >> > >> Any comments from owner of cars with this engine/transmission > >> combo. > >> > >> Will GM be redesigning the sunfire/cavalier for the 2004 model year?? > >> > >> Thanks > >> > >> Walt > >> > >> > > >
Reply to
Nick Trounson

"Nick Trounson" wrote

The 5-speed that has been used in the last few years in the Sunfire/Cavalier line is quite a bit different from the older Getrag. Totally re-designed.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian,

Have you been hearing of grinding problems with the one's in the J bodies? I've heard GM recommended overfilling he tranny with synthetic fluid, and there was a washer that could be inserted in the build-up of the tranny to take up some slack.

Any insight on this?

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony

"Tony" wrote

I haven't heard of the washer, but that doesn't mean it's not happening. Yes, we do deal with gear "rattle" noise, and we have overfilled a few transmissions with the Saturn spec fluid. I'm not really fond of the overfilling thing, as the next person that checks the fluid level in the trans will just drain the excess fluid out if he doesn't know about the overfill procedure.

We've torn some of these transmission down looking for answers to the gear rattle and haven't really found a whole lot. I think it's just the nature of the beast. GM basically says this in the bulletin that they released for the overfill procedure. But sometimes our shop foremen get all "gung ho" and figure they are going to waste our time chasing our tails.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Damn! how'd that happen?

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

He said he was just driving along, shifted, and BAM! He's not exactly easy on his car, but I've seen MUCH worse. He didn't dump the clutch or anything like that. He just reved it pretty good a lot. He's had a lot of problems really though. Engine knocking, a sensor or two.....

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Guys

How bad is this gear rattle.? Will this tranny fail prematurely? ie will it last 10 or 15 years? Is it reliable, but just a bit rough around the edges"

Any reports of anybody's transmission failing. ?

Thanks for the info.

ps How;s the ecotec engine holding up. Any head gasket leaks or anything like that.

Walt

Reply to
Walt

"Walt" wrote

I haven't seen any major failures of these 5 speed transmissions yet. You will always have some failures, but I haven't seen any indication that there is a reliability problem with them.

So far so good. They are basically a four cylinder version of what GM refers to as their "premium V" engines. Northstar v-8, and Olds 3.5 v-6...etc. I suspect they will be a very nice little 4 cylinder engine for quite a while. I'll bet that an awful lot of horsepower can probably be extracted from them too.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

| > Damn! how'd that happen? | | probably was at highway speeds and shifted back into 1st or 2nd.... | | I like people that drive manuals, and have their engine blow up | "mysteriously" |

I thought I didn't like 'em cuz it's hard on my legs. Was there anything on the car labelled "ACME"?

Reply to
Steven Dinius

probably was at highway speeds and shifted back into 1st or 2nd....

I like people that drive manuals, and have their engine blow up "mysteriously"

Reply to
Paradox