Re: Group opinion - New GTO

No one complained because prior to that there was no "AC Cobra" made "before" that time! It wasnt a "rebadging", it was a new name and new breed of car. So with that said how would you feel if I slapped GTO badges on a Honda Civic? If GM wants to import the Holden Monaro then name it the Holden Monaro or name it something that hasnt been claimed before unless you intend to at least use some cosmetic styling features to match that of the past. Much like you can see with fords lame attempt but attempt at a Cobra concept that you mention. All it really comes down to is GM execs wanting to make a buck off a name plate and nothing more... If I had ever bought one I would have to pull the badges off just out of respect. Maybe I'd replace them with "LS1" instead, thats the only thing that really has any appeal to me.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

It all makes sense now. You didn't realize the Cobra was a rebadged AC Ace with a USA domestic engine. Well, wake up.

Reply to
Joe

For crying out loud...=20 I know the damn body was imported and I've known that for years! It is=20 not a rebadged AC "ACE"!!!

Before Shelby imported it and stuck Ford power plants in, it was a "AC=20 ACE"! (no ford motor) After it was imported and had the Ford engine put=20 in it and went through "body alterations" then it became the "AC Cobra"!=20 That is "not" a rebadging! THAT IS A NEW CAR! No more AC "ACES" were=20 being made and none of them ever had a Ford motor! Even then once it got=20 a ford motor it wasnt called the "FORD" Cobra! The "Auto-Carriers" tag=20 was kept!=20 That is not the same thing as slapping a name plate on something with=20 little or no alterations like the new GTO! At least with the AC Cobra=20 you still knew it was an "Auto-Carriers" car body! No credit is given to=20 Holden what so ever and thats why it is a plain and simple REBADGING!

Saying the AC Cobra was a rebadging of a AC Ace is ridiculous! Thats=20 like saying a Dakota is a rebadged Ram.

I'm finished with this thread, you people dont know how to read...

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Yeh, that was one hell of a motor, to bad Chrysler didnt have a really slick marketing plan for consumer sales to get more attention. But at the time I think this engine was built as an extension of there nascar race program. I would love to get my hand on one of those ugly monsters. 12 second factory E/Ts is incredible for back then. I bet it got 8 miles to the gallon, but who cared back then when you could fill up at 25 cents a gallon.

Reply to
Popeye Sailor..US Navy

So, I don't know if you realize that 'Joe' isn't me. Personally, I think you made some fair points. I especially like the 'LS1' badge idea. However, Pontaic did decide to resurect the GTO name and use it on this car. Would I be upset if they used the Honda? You bet, but not for the reason you apparently think. There have been attempts in the past to make a new GTO, the worst (IMO) was sticking a mediocre 6 (or maybe it was a small 8) in the (then) new Grand Am in around '86. I didn't like that concept because it was a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE car. Now, obviously I'm no purist here but I never wanted to see the GTO name again if it meant it would be a front driver. To me, that would be a travesty. So, the GTO badge on a FWD American car? Bad. The GTO name on a RWD foreign car? I would prefer American, but I'll take it.

This car is RWD. With the LS1 it goes like a GTO (actually better than any other production GTO). It handles. It stops. It has a useable back seat. It isn't American, but get with the new world economy. In fact. it might sell to some of my peers because it isn't American (take that up with them!). It isn't the greatest looking car in the world, but it will do. No hood scoops? I don't care. The ones on the '64 weren't functional anyway.

Now, about this AC deal. I'm no expert here. I admit that freely. But, I brought that up as an example of someone sticking an American engine in a foreign car, with an entirely American result. Your original argument that the AC Cobra was an AC and not a Ford doesn't really hold water IMHO because the car was developed by Ford and sold through Ford dealerships. So the AC Cobra is in many minds a Ford AC Cobra. An even further extraction of this reveals a Ford Shelby Cobra. And remembering that I'm no expert, I did notice on the Wheels episode that when they rolled out the serial no. 1 car it was different than what went into production. That first one had an AC body. All the others did not. And really, only auto enthusiasts are even aware about the AC part anyway. So what started as a foreign car was made american in the end.

BTW, I hope you are not done with the NG, even if you are done with this thread. Personally I like the idea that our little 'discussion' never fell to the level of name calling ands insults like usually happens on Usenet.

For crying out loud... I know the damn body was imported and I've known that for years! It is not a rebadged AC "ACE"!!!

Before Shelby imported it and stuck Ford power plants in, it was a "AC ACE"! (no ford motor) After it was imported and had the Ford engine put in it and went through "body alterations" then it became the "AC Cobra"! That is "not" a rebadging! THAT IS A NEW CAR! No more AC "ACES" were being made and none of them ever had a Ford motor! Even then once it got a ford motor it wasnt called the "FORD" Cobra! The "Auto-Carriers" tag was kept! That is not the same thing as slapping a name plate on something with little or no alterations like the new GTO! At least with the AC Cobra you still knew it was an "Auto-Carriers" car body! No credit is given to Holden what so ever and thats why it is a plain and simple REBADGING!

Saying the AC Cobra was a rebadging of a AC Ace is ridiculous! Thats like saying a Dakota is a rebadged Ram.

I'm finished with this thread, you people dont know how to read...

Reply to
Joseph Roche

The car was developed by Carroll Shelby and he worked a deal to get ford engines and to sell on their dealerships. Carroll Shelby isnt owned by ford, his latest car uses a Northstar engine. Does that mean GM owns the Shelby Series 1? Not that I'm aware of. I believe the term "ford cobra" is a bastardization of the cars name over the years. If you say Ford Cobra now I would have to assume you are talking about the Cobra Mustangs.

Bon·ne·ville

I saw 2 GTO's at the dealer where I got my car at. I just happened to be driving by and saw a black one spinning round & round on the rack. I stopped to look at it. Next to the window sticker was a piece of paper reading : Fair Marlet Markup Value $4495

The total cost was around $38,895

In person it looked a little bit bigger than I originally though. Side view reminded me of a Sebring coupe the neighbor has. I couldn't get a good foot hold on the narrow rack to stand on it to look inside of the vehicle, plus with it spinning & the snow on the rack I'd probably slip off & get decapitated on the next spin cylce.

Looking at it and the Grand Am a few feet away, it really didn't look like the Grand Am. Decklid had a 5.7 emblem & a GTO script - no trunk keyhole either, at least I didn't see one, maybe its hidden within the taillight housing ?

There was red one in the window but too far in to really see it.

A couple left over new 03 SSEi's were marked down to $28,000

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face