serpentine idle pulley

My '99 Grand Prix has the supercharger and has two serpentine belts. The one that runs the supercharger and air conditioner has a idler pulley, which broke off and fell to the ground, while riding one day. The car ran fine, just no air and no supercharger. The tensioner pulley was still in place but the belt wouldn't stay on.

The Fix: I just bought a shorter serpintine belt. It's been fine since.

Reply to
David Hough

One problem you may eventually have is that the belt will slip under load because one of the idler pulley's functions is to make sure the belt makes adequate contact around the circumference of a driven pulley. You may have less "wrap" now.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Actually, the bolt that holds the pulley broke, leaving the threaded part still in the hole. To use a drill and easyout might require raising or removing the engine. The 14.95 belt from VIP did it in 20 minutes. So far I've put a 1000 miles on it. The supercharger is working. I fixed it.

Reply to
David Hough

If you installed a smaller belt what did you loosen up to slip it over all the pulleys?

Or is the belt loose enough where moving the tensioner gives clearance to slip it over all the pulleys?

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 34,114 91 Bonneville LE 305,610
Reply to
Harry Face