steering wheel cover

Having trouble with steering wheel lever locking, one that locks wheel in different positions, and think I can fix it myself. Will remove steering wheel, remove bottom cover thats attached with two screws, but how do I remove the top cover that goes around ignition switch? Special tool for this or what do I need to know. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Sam

Forgot, car is 1993 Grand Am, 4cyl, 5 speed

Reply to
Sam

I'd really need to see it, but if I am imagining what you mean correctly, you need to remove the ignition lock cylinder, and then probably lower the steering column. The lower cover is usually only really attached to the upper cover. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

If it's the same as a 92, you remove the steering wheel, remove the screws from the bottom cover and remove the tilt wheel locking lever.

The tilt wheel locking lever was difficult to remove. I had to use vise-grips to turn it.

I'm a little foggy on this but, the top cover will then slip off, or there may be two screws attaching it that are visible after removing the steering wheel.

I had a problem where a two inch long silver metal pin moved out of position. The tilt wheel wouldn't lock in place causing the steering wheel to flop up and down. The pin was still attached on one end and tapping it back into place was an easy, permanent fix.

Dave

Reply to
Dave