Sunbird 94 stalls for "nothing"...

Hi pros!!

2 weeks ago, my Sunbird stalled in traffic after giving some shakings and a roaning sound. I thought it was an empty tank so I added 5liters and it worked to the garage where i added 16L more...... When I parked the car near my bro's house, the engine had a little squealing sound and stalled again. I added few ml of oil and car was ok. I used it for 12 days when today, the car stalled again in traffic. The "check engine" was lighted. I added few ml of oil, car started but stalled when trying to gear... I added more oil (around 400ml =½pint) and the car was back to the road. Other infos: -the prestone level was ok. No loss there. -the others liquids were ok also -no leaks that I can see of oil near the engine, under the car, etc... -no smoke, white or blue... -the spark plugs were changed last time in....2001 -the air filter also in 2001

Do you have any ideas what could be wrong and what to do??

I know I should have changed my spark and filter.....

Merci for your time and advices.....

"OO"

Reply to
OO

Definitely not a pro but when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Sobieralski via CarKB.com

Not since I bought the car in 2000....

"Oo"?

"Jon Sobieralski via CarKB.com" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com...

Reply to
OO

Not enough info. Could be anything at all. What EXACTLY was the car doing when the stalls occured? Speed, accel, decel, brake, rpm, gear, and anything else you can think of= =2E

5 cylinder engine? Stick shift?
Reply to
« Paul =?is

Well, the car was decelerating and I felt the loss of power from the engine...... I thought I was out of fuel the first time... Weather was normally hot from the meter.......the car starts to "brake" If I can say, like banging then stalls. Check engine light appears. Car is 2L automatic speed was 15km I can't think of anything more specific.....

Merci for your time!

"OO"

"« Paul »" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@houst>

Not enough info. Could be anything at all. What EXACTLY was the car doing when the stalls occured? Speed, accel, decel, brake, rpm, gear, and anything else you can think of.

5 cylinder engine? Stick shift?
Reply to
OO

I went to the garage and they put it on the computer and no codes appeared.

Mystery......

"Oo"!

"OO" a écrit dans le message de news:42818bb3$1 snipped-for-privacy@spool9-west.superfeed.net...

Reply to
OO

I would still just go ahead and replace the fuel filter anyway. It has been 4 or 5 years probably. It wouldn't hurt and it is a cheap part. I did this to my 93 Grand Prix after it was shutting down like yours has done. I thought it was number of things but I replaced the fuel filter before anything. Problem fixed and the Prix lived happily everafter.

Keep me posted

Jon

Reply to
Jon Sobieralski via CarKB.com

Thank you for trying to claify. Unfortunately the description still is not good enough to make any sort of diagnosis. Perhaps the TCC solenoid won't release. Or the MAF is bad, or the IAC, TPS, etc, etc. Is the trans the TH-125/3T40 3 speed?

Reply to
« Paul =?is

"Is the trans the TH-125/3T40 3 speed?"

Unfortunately, I have no idea where to get that info......

-"oo"- y

"« Paul »" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@houst> >

Reply to
OO

M.Jon, I will replace the filter this week and let you know......

merci for being a "non-pro"!!

"@@"

"Jon Sobieralski via CarKB.com" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com...

Reply to
OO

Fuel filter changed last wednesday......

Car seems ok so far......

We'll see......

Merci to all for the help....