Timing Belt

Does a 99 Grand Am 4 cylinder engine have a timing belt or a chain? If it's a belt, do the pistons hit the valves if it breaks? Thanks for any help.

Noob

Reply to
Kim Neubert

2.4L right? Timing chain. GW
Reply to
Geoff Welsh

The technical term for that is a (non-)interference engine. Non- means the pistions won't hit the valves. In my book, the preferred engine, because if you're a cheapskate that doesn't replace things until they break, it will save you a multi-hundred$$ valve job. I know from experience

Jay

website URL: members.aol.com/orphantrainlocos/index.html All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic.

Reply to
JCunington