1994 pontiac gran am 2.3

Still searching for a trick to remove back housing of timing chain cover from engine, if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it... workable ideas that is........

Reply to
SLM50

Is the water pump bolted to it? I remember the water pump going into the back of that timing case, because the timing chain drives the water pump. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Here is the procedure taken nearly verbatim from my 1992 Helms shop manual

Timing Chain Housing

Remove or Disconnect:

  1. Negative battery cable
  2. Front cover
  3. Oxygen sensor electrical connections
  4. Exhaust heat shields
  5. Exhaust manifold brace to manifold bolt
  6. Loosen manifold to exhaust pipe nuts
  7. Raise the vehicle
  8. Manifold to exhaust pipe nuts
  9. Pull down and back on the exhaust manifold
  10. Lower the vehicle
  11. Exhaust manifold to cylinder head retaining nuts If installing a replacement timing chain housing a. Drain engine coolant b. Radiator outlet pope to coolant pump cover bolts c. Coolant pump cover to cylinder block bolts d. Coolant pump cover to coolant pump assembly bolts e. Coolant pump cover f. Coolant pump assembly to timing chain housing nuts g. Coolant pump assembly
  12. Coolant pump assembly to timing chain housing nuts (if not already removed)
  13. Timing chain
  14. Chain housing to belt tensioner bracket brace
  15. Timing chain housing to block lower fasteners
  16. Four oil pan to front cover bolts
  17. Lowest front cover retaining stud from timing chain housing (catches on body if not removed)
  18. Lower vehicle
  19. Oil/air separator hose from chain housing (VIN 3 only)
  20. Camshaft sprocket retaining bolts and washers while holding sprocket with special wrench
  21. Camshaft sprocket
  22. Chain housing to camshaft housing bolts
  23. Timing chain housing and gaskets (it may be necessary to raise the engine slightly)

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Thanks so much I see a couple things that need to be done...........I will try it! Thanks so much!!!

Reply to
SLM50