550 Spyder

Looking for some classic Porschephile info. Experts here?

Question is; If I were wanting a 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder, in good condition, about how much money should I be expecting to pay?

If I found one, how could I be sure that it was authentic. I know there are good clones out there.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Chris.....

Depending on condition and race history 300K + , would put you in the ballpark. A very nice "Beck" reproduction, used can be had for about 10K or thereabouts.

Good Luck!!!! Steve

Reply to
pcarfan

Good Reminder - Wanted a 550 Beck Spider...

Reply to
Glenn Barnett

I've seen figures of $280,000 all the way up near a million dollars for original 550s. The better the condition the car, the more money it's worth (duh). While not perfect, Beck builds a very good reproduction of the 550, that I think uses air-cooled Bug mechanicals, but I may be mistaken. Excellence did a drive and write up of one several months ago, maybe you can find that issue somewhere.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Got to look at drive a Beck a couple of years ago. Very nice reproduction and very well put together for not alot of money!

John in Austin, TX

Reply to
jrhslick

The last I heard the few that exist go from 400K to 700K, more if raced successfully.

I have a "clone" that I made, making much more sense to me

Joe Gliebe

Reply to
Joe Gliebe