914 trans interchangability

Hello everyone,

Does anybody know if the ring and pinion in a 914 box can be swapped over so I can use it in a Bug?? Is it based on a bus box?

I have a deal on a rebuilt 914 box, with a quaife LSD :-)

Allan :-)

Reply to
Allan Williams

sweet! -^

I wanted one, but I'm already $2K over-budget on my drivetrain project :(

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Reply to
Ilambert

My friend Darron has just sold a house, he's brought a 52" TV and a few other "neccessities", and now it's transmission time :-)

I don't have that kinda money flaoting around (I'm getting married in 4.5 weeks!) So hopefully a stock type 3 box will handle a mild turbo 2.0L type 4 :-)

Allan :-)

Reply to
Allan Williams

The transaxle in a Porsche 914 is a Porsche type 901 transaxle. There are two versions: a tail shifter and a side shifter.

It's ver unlikely you can move parts from a Porsche 901 transaxle to a VW transaxle. You might be able to install a "tail shifter" 901 in a VW, you might have to modify your shifter. I don't know about transmission mount interchange.

Reply to
Viking

The ring gear can be "flipped" to the opposite side of the 914 transaxle with no machining. Indeed the 914 transaxle started out life as a 911(called the 901) transaxle used in a rear engine configuration.

There are 2 versions of the 914 transaxle. A "tail shifter" which has the shift linkage at the very end of the gearbox. There is also a " side shifter" which is the most desirable for use in a 914 but also may be adaptable to a Beetle. There have been articles in the VW magazines before covering this swap and there is at least one website that is quite detailed on the swap.

Look at :

Mike T

Reply to
Mike T