BMW M3 or Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe

Mine wasn't a right-or-wrong issue - it's just that I've never heard a dealer or for that matter a Porsche owner refer to the car as anything like what some people try to make of the name.

But as you so rightly pointed out - call it what you want.

Princess Morgiah

Reply to
Princess Morgiah

It's been two syllables since at least my 1977 911S with the heat exchangers that Automotion made a pipe replacement for.

Reply to
Viper

Since always - German doesn't have silent letters, so you pronounce the e. It's pronounced the same as the female name Portia. Some Porsche owners correct people, most don't bother. No way is a dealership salesman going to risk blowing a deal by correcting someone's grammar - they'll follow your lead. :) As for the original question: if the car is to be used as a daily driver year 'round, I'd recommend the M3. Otherwise, get the Carrera. And I'd recommend waiting for the new model (type 997) rather than getting a current model (996). Of course, with the original poster's money, I'd get a 72 or 73 Carrera RS. More exclusive, more fun, cheaper to maintain, and depreciation proof (hell, they'll likely go UP in price). Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

I think most people know how to pronounce it, if really pushed by pickiness. But I also think in the popular lexicon it has been shortened in the same way there are Vettes, Chevys, Mercedes and Caddies etc. In America we like to lose a syllable or two whenever possible.

Reply to
Jess Englewood

Porsche TV commercials say it with 2 syllables. I assume the factory knows how to pronounce it correctly.

Reply to
Proud Yankee

No, it hasn't. It's still two syllables to anyone with a clue...

Reply to
daytripper

I am married to a German...believe me, it's two syllables.

Reply to
Devils944S2

Good advice BUT... have you looked at resale values of M3's lately ?? You might as well buy a new one, their used sale prices are incredibly high.

Rein

I don't believe there was ever any question that "German" has two syllables.

Reply to
Jess Englewood

After a decade of saving, you cannot invest in something mundane, like a 3 series BMW, even one with a powerful engine. The M3 is not a true sports car - try 10 laps of a track and see if the brakes can cope! It is a hugely successful marketing gimmick, an icon without substance.

The 911 is the real thing. No amount of advice (and well done for stimulating such fervent debate) will matter after the test drives. The Porsche steering alone when compared with the BMW will illustrate the essential differences.

In order of preference, I'd get a Carrera 2 new, used Carrera 4S or a 996 GT3 Mk 1 - the best of the bunch, apart from the unhelpfully expensive GT3 RS. You may want to wait for the 997 as it will make current cars just that little bit cheaper.

Hope you enjoy the 911.

Reply to
Darren Hall

Yeah, Funny...My wife's name ends with an "e" and it is pronounced as an a (ah to be exact), but, she now spells it with an "a" at the end for those of you Americans that think it is right to take a proper name and pronounce it anyway you want. Rather than fight the ignorance, she made it easy for you. Pronounce it anyway you want, but if you insist on Pors-shhh instead of Pors-sha it just reinforces the stupid American stereotype.

Reply to
Devils944S2

The other posts have covered a lot of valid issues around cost, price, weight, durability, etc. I am also a fan of the 993 version of the Porsche 911 series and would recommend that you at least take a look at the 1997-98 models. The 1998 C4-S is a beautiful car that can be purchased with relatively low miles. From my perspective, if you can live with a car that does not have a useful back seat, the 911 is the way to go. BMW can be counted on to make significant changes to the apperance of the M3 periodically, while the 911 series is easily identifiable as part of the same family... To some this is good, to others, newness is better. Good luck.

Reply to
Randall Smith

Braun has been owned by Gillette for quite a while, so "brawn" is a pretty reasonable pronunciation.

Here in the UK I long ago gave up trying to tell people it's similar to "brown", where official pronunciation is "brawn" for the linguistically challenged Brits.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I think it's just a case of trying to render the short final e into English for pronunciation purposes. For some it's 'Porscha' for others it's 'Porsch-uh'. Personally I think the latter gets closer.

However incorrect it may be, quite a few in the UK say "Porsch". Maybe they think the e is silent because it is in English and French...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Actually it's not, not in German, anyway, though 'Portia' (or Porsha as has been proposed elsewhere) is close enough for most English speakers. I would say it's closer to Porsh-uh as has been suggested by another poster. The final letter is an e, not an a which, believe it or not, are pronounced differently in German... :-)

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Mercedes is an abbreviation for...?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

While in the process of saving money like crazy, it became very obvious that it is much easier to earn interest if you are starting with a larger amount of money. Consequently, I have continued saving past the point of just being able to afford the car so that when I do purchase, it won't wipe me out.

You have all made very good arguments for one or the other. My original suspicion that the 911 is a purer sports car with less practicality seems to have been confirmed. It won't be seen how much of an impact this will play until I test out each car for myself.

Please keep the opinions coming in. They have been very helpful and are giving me ideas of what to think about before making the purchase.

Regarding negotiations, are higher end dealerships just as willing to bargain (albeit resonably) on the price, or will I be pretty lucky to get sticker price on these more exclusive cars? I know I've heard that the M3 used to sell at quite a premium compared with the window price.

By the way, I'll be sure to pronounce it Por-scha when I meet the overly pushy salesman.

Tyler

Reply to
Tyler

snipped-for-privacy@post>

I wouldn't quite call the M3 a mundane car. As for the fact whether or not it's a true sports car - the original poster said nothing about racing the car on a track, so I think he's trying to decide more on looks and practical issues, rather than true track performance.

(I know I'm going to be shot for saying this but) I've yet to see a Porsche I like - I'd prefer the M3 over just about every Porsche out there. But that is a matter of opinion, of course - I simply do not think of Porsches as beautiful cars, as opposed to most BMWs (except the latest Bangles).

Princess Morgiah

Reply to
Princess Morgiah

The two brands are at different points. Right now, Porsche is experiencing near-record lows as far as sales of 911s go. The Boxster is down a tiny bit, and Cayenne is doing okay. Any larger Porsche dealer should likely be dealing on 911s as they got the bigger allotment and will have cars to move. The BMW is in demand, even in Bangle form, so expect less haggling power on those. Especially since the 3-series has yet to be Bangled, and so is still popular.

Also at the PCA wine mixer, please. Practice talking like Thurston Howell III and you'll fit right in! ;) Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

are you mad? a chevy corvette z06 is the only way to go son. more power, more performance, less money. you must be a young gun, learn from the experienced....chevrolet corvette, a good decision. if not a z06, the c6 equals any german in quality and performance, might just be a little better too while you can put a few bucks in your pocket. go drive one, you'll love it, buy american, happy july 4th son.

Reply to
Ron