My 83’ porsche 944 will not always start...help!

I have a 1983 Porsche 944. Im having trouble every once in a while starting my car. Sometimes its perfect, no problems. But recently..it cranks but will not fire. I usually have to pump the gas and crank two times for it to start up. This is a recent problem. Also recently my car shorted for a moment while i was driving. The battery light came on for a second and the clock went back to blinking

12:00. My tape player also turns on and off intermintently. Something electronically is wrong. I know nothing about cars. Help me please!
Reply to
pearljaman31

Your electrical and mechanical problems might be related...maybe not:

  1. Check that the ground strap on the battery is connected and solid without corrosion. Also, check the other end and make sure it's solid on the chassis. Wouldn't hurt to have the battery checked for a bad cell.

  1. I cannot remember exactly which of the fuel injection system the '83 had...however, it seems like you've got a drop in residual pressure, that's supposed to provide enough gas for the engine to get started before new fuel comes up the line from the fuel pump.

There is some sort of "check valve" that's supposed to keep the pressure up to a specified minimum. There is also usually a small canister...the accumulator, that is supposed to have a small amount of gas, under pressure, ready to go. If this were happening after warm-up...and then trying to restart after 10-15 min or so...I'd be absolutely sure that this was the problem.

You'll probably need a mechanic to run a leak-down test on the system...using a set of Bosch test gauges, etc.

It could also be that there's a problem with the temperature sensors...which are not alerting the ECT computer that the engine is cold and needs a richer mixture.

Hope this helps....

Reply to
Weekend Guru

"Weekend Guru" wrote: > Your electrical and mechanical problems might be > related...maybe not: > > 1. Check that the ground strap on the battery is connected > and solid > without corrosion. Also, check the other end and make sure > it's solid on > the chassis. Wouldn't hurt to have the battery checked for a > bad cell. > > 2. I cannot remember exactly which of the fuel injection > system the '83 > had...however, it seems like you've got a drop in residual > pressure, that's > supposed to provide enough gas for the engine to get started > before new fuel > comes up the line from the fuel pump. > > There is some sort of "check valve" that's supposed to keep > the pressure up > to a specified minimum. There is also usually a small > canister...the > accumulator, that is supposed to have a small amount of gas, > under pressure, > ready to go. If this were happening after warm-up...and then > trying to > restart after 10-15 min or so...I'd be absolutely sure that > this was the > problem. > > You'll probably need a mechanic to run a leak-down test on the > > system...using a set of Bosch test gauges, etc. > > It could also be that there's a problem with the temperature > sensors...which > are not alerting the ECT computer that the engine is cold and > needs a richer > mixture. > > Hope this helps.... > > > "pearljaman31" wrote in > message > news:1_535415 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com... > >I have a 1983 Porsche 944. Im having trouble every once in a > while > > starting my car. Sometimes its perfect, no problems. But > > recently..it cranks but will not fire. I usually have to > pump the gas > > and crank two times for it to start up. This is a recent > problem. > > Also recently my car shorted for a moment while i was > driving. The > > battery light came on for a second and the clock went back > to blinking > > 12:00. My tape player also turns on and off intermintently. > > Something electronically is wrong. I know nothing about > cars. Help me > > please! > >

Reply to
pearljaman31