Porsche 2001 C2 key will not lock and unlock doors remotely

My main key stopped locking and unlocking the car doors. It opens and locks the doors fine if I insert it the key in the keyhole and starts the car fine. Everything works. The service dept told me that all I need was a new battery. He told me to try it with my other key. The other key works fine, but I want to be able to have two fully working keys. So, I got a new battery. However, it did not change anything. I assume it has to be reprogrammed for some weird reason (the key red light would come on fine before the new battery). Is there a way to program the keys without going to the dealer? I have to assume that it was the battery because I do drive the Porsche at least once a week and when I do I always lock/unlock with the key remotely. :cry:

Reply to
Gatoviejo

If the programming has been corrupted, then only the dealer can reset your key's # in the car's ECU. However, are you getting the red light on your key? If not, then the new battery could be in upside down, or one of the battery contacts (parts of the interior of the key) may have some corrosion on them. If that's the case, rubbing them with a little sand paper or a nail file should get them to contact the battery Good luck.

Regards from Texas...

Reply to
Guru

Thank you Texas. The light does come on on the key. I plan to go to the dealer with the key and see what they can do, but was hoping to avoid that trip to the dealership. Good day

Reply to
Gatoviejo