Porsche 914 front suspension dimensions

Hello -

I am building a 3-wheeled vehical based on a 914 front suspension and a Honda Magna motorcycle (2 wheels in front, 1 in the rear). Right now, I am in the process of building the frame.

Could somebody do me a favor? I need 2 measurements. One is the distance between struts at the very top when they are mounted in the car, and the other is the distance that the strut shaft is extended out when the car is at ride height. Also. when at ride height, are the lower control arms parallel with the ground, or angled up a bit, or what?

Thanks so much for your time!

Mark

Reply to
mark

Try posting this question on

or look around the site. There are dimensional drawings of the 914 there that might have these measurements. If you can't find what you need email me and I'll measure my 914-6 for you. I can measure the distance between the front struts easily, but the car is still being restored and hasn't been corner balanced yet. The ride height, etc might not be correct. Mike

Reply to
Michael

Thanks, Mike - I actually got an extremely informative answer from a gentleman named Scott from rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled:

Measuring center to center at the very top of the struts (at the nuts) = 38 5/8".

Mine may not be a good example for the second dimension you need as the car hasn't been driven in 20 years ... plus, one side sits lower than the other. That being said, one side is 13 1/2" and the other is 12 1/4". On the diagram below, that measurement was taken from the bottom of item 25 to the center of the bolt (item 19) that attaches the strut to the ball joint.

On mine the lower control arms are angled downward slightly at the outboard ends.

You might try the forums and tech sections at

or
for moreinformation.

hth

Reply to