Strange noise in '02 Boxster, please advise

Hi, my '02 Boxster makes a groaning sound, like a low-pitch creaking door, whenever I turn left and am slowing down. I feel a shudder up the steering column to the steering wheel. It happens whether or not I brake. I may happen when I turn right, but it just to happens that I turn left into my driving coming home from work, and left into my parking space at work.

I brought this to the dealership a year ago. It was really bad then. It would happen when the car wasn't moving, turning the wheel in either direction. After replacing the whole rack assembly the sound seemed to go away. For a few months.

It then happened intermittantly until I got it 'fixed' again a month ago, where some kind of pump was replaced. Power steering fluid pump? But the sound appeared again that very day.

So I brought my car back and I was told that after planing down the brake rotor of my left front brakes, the problem was solved since some kind of un-even wear caused the brake pad to 'drag'. But the sound appear again that very day.

Obviously, the mechanics at the dealership are stumped. My only concern is that this is a symptom of a problem that's going to cost a lot to fix, JUST after my warranty expires.

Anyone have any ideas what this is? By the way, the time I brought in my car a month ago, I borrowed an '05 Boxster for the week. That car MADE THE SAME SOUND. HUH? It's very hard to reproduce, so maybe this is just NORMAL.

PLEASE advise, thanks in advance, please post, of if email remove the nospam.

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

I've got a less severe, but similar "problem" with my 2001 Boxster S. It seems to come and go, and I've discussed it with the service advisors. The one who always tells me the honest truth (not the company line) noted that Porsche has some issues with this...especially if you're close to full left or right turn. I asked what the solution was and was told...unofficially, but direct from Porsche: "Don't do that"...and it won't make that noise. So...I've double checked my power steering fluid level, and discussed this with some other Boxster owners in our local PCA club, and it does seem to be pretty widespread.

At this point...there does not seem to be an official "cure", so I'd live with it....and....have a solid extended warranty...which I have.

Regards from Texas...

Reply to
Weekend Guru

Well hey I am sure glad I know it's not just me, if you know what I mean. What extended warranty do you have?

Adopted Texan,

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

The dealer here in Houston is owned by the Sonic auto group, and they sell a policy backed by Ford Motor Co...plus backup insurance. I got one that covers 4 yrs from when I purchased it, and up to 75,000 mi. It was certainly affordable...with a little negotiating. $100 deductible for each visit...not each individual item.

Contact me direct for additional info.

Reply to
Weekend Guru

Well, what's your real email address, or just email me but remove the nospam from my address, or, contact me through my web page.

Later,

Reply to
Dan Stephenson