2001 Pruis now with 82000 miles is still like new

I just found this message board; was using the yahoo groups. I just wanted to state a few facts. Our prius gets around 50 mpg driving 60mph average speeds. Our last trip to Victoria, BC from N. california was a blast as this car is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. I have lifetime oil changes and get the oil changed 4 times per year. Other than the recalls to do small things the car is still in perfect condition. I was it with Classic Car wax. I run 44psi front/ 42 rear using the Bridgestone tires with lifetime warranty(it needed serious alignment from the other tire center I used). I drive conservatively not racing people and not rabbit starts. In Victoria I noticed many Pruis Taxis. I have seen one with 300,000 miles on it and no major maintance. By far the most inexpensive vehicle to maintain and many thousands of dollars saved at the pump. I plan to keep this car forever.

Reply to
Bikingmike

You should be hoping your main battery fails soon so it can be replaced under warranty.

Reply to
Allen

You lost your credibility with that comment, Allen.

Reply to
mark digital©

How so, if you want to replace the battery yourself without the warranty then please do.

Very few of us are likely ever to replace a main battery. Those battery failures I've seen described are at very random ages; some have been while nearly new and some have been beyond 100K miles. One was at 201K miles (IIRC). The battery failures appear to be almost entirely failures of internal connections, based on the descriptions. Your experience is the clearest example of that; it worked okay one day and failed suddenly and (in your case) completely the next.

If one of our 2002s has a main battery failure like that and Toyota does not at least agree to pay for the replacement part, I'll spend the few hours in the garage to fix it myself. It isn't rocket science.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee