Bluetooth compatibility

I am wondering whether any of you have reports re various phones and their compatibility with the Prius's system? I have to change phones, and am looking at Verizon's Bluetooth-compatible phones. It seems to me that very few of them actually work in the Prius (IIRC), and the one that I was thinking of switching to, which is Bluetooth-compatible (the LG VX8100) is not in the list I found re phones that worked in the Prius:

Yes, I am looking at the archives! But now I realize that I have forgotten to look in all my little booklets that came with the car, so I will also do that....

Reply to
Jean B.

Verizon bluetooth phones work very well with the Prius with the exception that you can't upload the phone book to the car.

Personally, though, I find that a bluetooth headset works better than the car's built-in bluetooth. I hear better, and the other person hears me better.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

All Verizon Bluetooth phones? Looking at the Toyota-compatible list(s) and what's available at Verizon, I only see 1 (or two, if the 2006 info also pertains to the 2005 models) point of intersection.

Really! That's discouraging. Let me say I RARELY talk in the car--hate it. Do you think the built-in Bluetooth would be adequate for very short conversations--like my daughter's telling me to come pick her up?

Thanks, Michelle.

Reply to
Jean B.

I use Sprint and have an LG PM-325 phone. It's "Blue Tooth Compatible" but has only limited connectivity to the Prius Blue Tooth system. As I recall, Sprint uses exclusively or primarily a CDMA system and I believe that no cell phone that uses this system will have full connectivity to the Prius (2004) system. I can receive incoming calls on my wireless Prius system, and everytime I start my car it says it recognizes my Blue Tooth phone. But to make an outgoing call I have to be stopped and manually put in the phone number to be called. I can't transfer the phone book from my phone to the Prius or use any of the other advantages that the built in Prius system offers. Needless to say this has been a continuing frustration since I bought the phone. And Sprint hasn't been at all helpful in offering an alternative. So, I recommend uing only the phones Toyota recommends - limited in number though they are. Good luck!

Reply to
bastianjames1001

That's good info, because I wouldn't make a call in my car, while driving. I don't even see any LGs on the two lists I saw, so maybe that is indicative of Bluetooth phones in general? I just hate to be limited to 1 or 2 models, which may not have the features I want.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jean B.

This is not a complete list, but this is what Toyota has published information on their testing and may have guides for Bluetooth phones:

US TSB EL001-05. May 20, 2005 Revision. BLUETOOTH COMPATIBLE CELLULAR PHONES. 2004-2005 Land Cruiser and Prius. (Lists compatible Bluetooth cellular phones, and functions/features/networks/drawbacks by cellular phone model.)

Motorola RAZR Motorola V80 Motorola V500 Motorola V505 Motorola V551 Motorola V600 Motorola V710 Nokia N-Gage Nokia 3600/3650 Nokia 3620/3660 Nokia 6230 Nokia 6260 Nokia 6310i Nokia 6600 Nokia 6620 Nokia 6650 Nokia 6810 Nokia 6820 Nokia 7600 Nokia 7610 Nokia 9810 Panasonic X70 Sharp GX-15 Sharp GX-30 Siemens S55/56 Siemens S65 Siemens SX1 Sony Ericsson K700i Sony Ericsson P800/900 Sony Ericsson T68i Sony Ericsson T610 & T616 Sony Ericsson T630 Sony Ericsson T637 Sony Ericsson Z600

Nokia 6310i (guide) Sony Ericsson T608/T610 (guide) (older versions of this PDF used to have the Sony Ericsson t68i listed, I think in place of the T608/T610)

BlackBerry 7100g (guide, removed) BlackBerry 7100t (guide, removed) BlackBerry 7290 (Cingular) (guide, removed) BlackBerry 7290 (T-Mobile) (guide removed) BlackBerry 7520 (Cingular) (guide, removed) Motorola RAZR (guide) Motorola V330 (guide) Motorola V505 (guide) Motorola V551 (guide) Motorola V600 (guide) Nokia 3600 (guide) Nokia 3620 (guide) Nokia 3650 (guide) Nokia 3660 (guide) Nokia 6230 (guide) Nokia 6600 (guide) Nokia 6620 (guide) Nokia 6820 (guide) Nokia 7610 (guide - coming soon) Nokia N-Gage QD (Cingular) (guide) Nokia N-Gage QD (T-Mobile) (guide) Samsung SGH-T809 (guide) Siemens S56 (guide) Siemens S66 (guide) Sony Ericsson T608 (guide) Sony Ericsson T610 (guide) Sony Ericsson T616 (guide) Sony Ericsson T637 (guide) Sony Ericsson W600i (guide)

Tech Tip - T2131. Nov. 15, 2005. BLUETOOTH CELLULAR PHONEPAIRING AND OPTIONS MATRIX. 2005 Avalon and 2005 and after Prius.(Lists compatible Bluetooth cellular phones, andfunctions/features/networks/drawbacks by cellular phone model, andpairing instructions. In both English and French!) Audiovox SMT5600 Blackberry 7100r Blackberry 7290 LG 325 (Bell) Motorola V3 Razr Motorola V551 Motorola V600 Motorola V635 Motorola V710 (Telus) Nokia 3600 Nokia 6310i Nokia 6620 Nokia 6820 Sony Ericsson S710 Sony Ericsson T616 Sony Ericsson T637

Reply to
mrv

If you can upload your contacts/phone book to the Prius, you can then select from the Prius' phonebook 17 numbers to put into the 3 pages of one-touch dial numbers. You can press one of these one-touch dial buttons on the screen to make an outgoing phone call while driving your Prius. Also, if your cell phone supports voice dialing, you can dial out on your phone and the conversation will be over the Prius' system.

Otherwise, you'd have to dial manually on your phone while driving, or else pull over/stop to dial on the Prius.

Reply to
mrv

Thank you! There are a few more lists there than what I dredged up, so maybe I'll find some more points of intersection.

Reply to
Jean B.

If voice dialing works like the rest of the commands, it will go something like this:

Driver: Call Jean Nav Moron: Searching for Jamaican Restaurant

Reply to
Bill

Uh-oh. I am looking at those lists. Seems there are (or were) more listed in the user guides than appear elsewhere. I don't know why it seems I have pretty much NO choice of phone if I want to use this system. There is virtually NO intersection between the two lists (Toyota's and Verizon's).

Reply to
Jean B.

No, you cannot voice dial with the Prius, so no Navigation needed (you can have Bluetooth phone support on a 2006 Prius without getting the Navigation package).

I was mentioning that some phones allow you to give it voice commands to dial. True enough, the phone may not have very good voice recognition, but I doubt that the phone would search for a restaurant.

Reply to
mrv

I use the bluetooth built in all the time with my Ericckson phone, I get much better clarity with this that with the phone itself. ,I love the quick one-touch phone numbers on the screen, it uploaded my phone numbers easily and I can receive call with just a push of the button on the steering wheel. This is one of my favorite features of the Pruis!

Reply to
patwayland

It's also about fifteen months old.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

The motorola phones have excellent voice recognition.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

That Toyota list is dated January of last year; there are many more Verizon bluetooth phones released since then.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I was looking at the phones on Verizon's site.

Reply to
Jean B.

I'm on Verizon's site right now; there are twenty-one bluetooth phones available. They all work with the Prius.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

If you know of a newer list published by Toyota, I'll happily add it to my saved list.

Reply to
mrv

Well, that's what I want to know. If you compare the Toyota lists, there is virtually no intersection. I am glad to hear that the other bluetooth phones work (even to some degree) even if they are not listed.

Reply to
Jean B.

As I said a few days ago, the reason they're not on Toyota's list is because the Toyota list is fifteen months old, and almost all of the bluetooth phones that Verizon offers were released after Toyota published that list.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner