Key Fob Battery

Regardless, people who refuse to open their owner's manuals, who instead insist that the general public read those owner's manuals to them, are RUDE.

Frankly, I *hope* to keep those kinds of people away. I much prefer a higher signal/noise ratio.

You, apparently, enjoy the noise.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

If you can spend the time being rude try just giving the answer, I'm very sure more people would stick around this group, you can go to any auto group and see people asking questions take are it thier manuals but most of those groups don't have an a$$ like you and they grow. The key fob question is a good question to find out what everyone is getting for battery life( thats not in the manual), to see that people are getting better life out of their fob battery on the prius than I do on eitherof my Vette's I find very interesting, I'm lucky to get a year.

Reply to
House

On that topic, I'll just mention that my daughter, who now has my 2005 Prius, complained about going through fob batteries like cordwood before a blizzard. During her last visit I needed to move her car and asked for her fob. She said "it's in the car, I always leave it in the car." Problem solved. FWIW, she claims to have read the entire manual.

Reply to
Al Falfa

I spend way less time telling him to "read the manual first, then come here after" than trying to explain it to someone who will come back again and again like a dog after a bone.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

She doesn't live in CT, you wouldn't have to worry about the fob the car would be gone before you even got in the house

Reply to
House

We live in the boondocks. Long walk to steal a car.

Reply to
Al Falfa

But grabbing the right side front handle opens all doors, regardless. There are all those little transponders, and evidently they can tell where the fob is. I know that when I'm about to open the left hand front door, my spouse can't open the right hand door, so obviously the system knows where the fob is. I haven't tested every possibility, so don't know if a fob near the outside the car still permits the car to be turned on--but I rather doubt it.

I changed the programming so the left front handle also opens all doors (see above about spouse on the right). A few weeks go, I was unable to get to the car, so I gave my spouse the fob and asked her to bring it around--and when I finally got to the door, discovered that she and several of her friends were all gathered around the car, but unable how to move it. None of them thought to step on the brake when pressing on the power switch.

My spouse is such a luddite that she refuses to drive the Prius. It doesn't use a key to turn it on and start it, and it doesn't have a PRNDL transmission lever. She can't even tune the radio in her own car (a 1995 Lumina); I have to do that for her.

Reply to
Peter Granzeau

I also drive a 2nd gen Lumina (a '97). Really, how hard is it to push in the tune knob so that it pops out and lets you turn it?

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

I have just spent a half hour with the owner's manual for my 2007 Prius. I have checked "How to start the hybrid system" (page 226) "Keys and doors" (page 18) Both are in the table of contents.

Neither section says what to do if the key fob battery is dead.

I have checked the index under Battery, Key and Starting and have not found an answer. In fact, I can not even find instructions for replaciing the battery in the key fob.

Could the person who says "Read the manual" please point me to the right section?

I have checked the ind

Reply to
John

I did a google for "Key fob for Prrius" and turned up

The first reply from aaf709 gives a link to how to change the battery

There is nothing resembling those instructions in my owners manual.

Reply to
John

John, the RTFM crap has nothing to do with what is actually in the manual, or how lousy the manual's index is. People with low self esteem take pleasure in insulting others. It's their problem, not yours.

Reply to
Al Falfa

I'm aware of that but thought it was worth proving that the information is either not in the manual or is not indexed and can only be found by thumbing through the manual page by page.

Reply to
John

I gave up on that, thought I'd try again when I had a clearer head and prep'ed myself. It shouldn't be that hard. Print the thing in English, not Japanese translated into English using some translational software. Have an English speaking employee proofread the manual. OMG this infuriated me.

Reply to
OscartheGrouch