Light Sensor

Does anyone know what the light sensor at the front corner of the dashboard top is for?
It is mentioned in the handbook in the section describing the air
conditioning, under "Tips" - basically "don't cover the sensor".
I can't think why the a/c needs to know whether it's light or dark outside.

It's the solar gain sensor for the climate control system.
The climate control system uses some form of fuzzy logic to decide the auto climate control settings.
You'll probably feel warmer with the noonday sun beating down at you, than if it was overcast outside, even for the same outside temperature. The same sun that makes you feel warm will also be trying to warm up the interior (so in the summer with the AC on the AC would have to be on cooler or a faster fan speed than if it wasn't sunny).

It's also the auto headlight sensor, for cars so equipped.

I thought that there was a separate light sensor for the auto headlights in Canada?

Thanks for the explanation. This car is amazing!

Site Timeline